It's good to be the King.

Story: openSUSE Fixes Linux Torvalds Bug In RC 1Total Replies: 4
Author Content
Bob_Robertson

Jul 13, 2012
10:25 AM EDT
Must be nice, I'm lucky if any bugreport I put in gets acknowledged by the _automated_ system, much less a human being.
caitlyn

Jul 14, 2012
9:54 PM EDT
Hmmm... when I put bug reports in for OpenSuse 11.something-or-other they did get acknowledged. They wanted more testing. Pity these were show stopping bugs that made their distro unusable on my hardware. They never got their additional testing.

Having said that, I may be picking up a contract for a SUSE shop. So... since SLES/SLED costs money and doesn't have a free clone the way RHEL does, I'll play with OpenSUSE 12.2 RC just to see what is different nowadays.
helios

Jul 15, 2012
12:06 PM EDT
I've had a bad run of luck this weekend with a few of the latest Linux live CD's. The latest OpenSuse is not liking my hardware I guess. Installation crashes with an "unknown application cannot meet dependency requirements." I have never seen that specific error before and if it's Suse-specific, I probably won't see it again. After burning it several times at different speeds, the same error appears and I refuse to try to debug a problem that appears that early in the experience. Same with BodhiLinux except in this case, the first screen I come to during install does not have an active > icon....it's the only prompt that looks like it wants to move me to the next screen...but it's just pixels, there is nothing live there to click. ROSA had multiple iinstaller crashes on three different disks all burned at a different speed and the same thing happened with a USB stick installation.

I did consider copious amounts of alcohol for a while there.

Fedora had panel crashes immediately upon boot and PCLinuxOS only gave me one huge screen resolution to choose from. Looking for a new distro to put on this recently-built AMD 64 quad 640, I finally had some success with CrunchBang. I proceeded with installing KDE, Gnome and Fluxbox just to have them to play with. OpenBox is fine but since this is going to be Diane's computer, I'll probably default it to Gnome 2.

I did look to see if a bug report had been filed with the PCLinuxOS folks and sure enough, you have to pass on the "no ACPI command before booting. Easy enough but I have wanted to give CB a shot for a while. I did my tour with PCLOS already.

Less drama = a quiet life. I can't imagine her reaction to a full-blown KDE desktop. She'd lose her mind.
caitlyn

Jul 15, 2012
1:57 PM EDT
I've seen reports on the ROSA crashes (which I did NOT experience) and they are all with the 32-bit Extended Edition. Try the edition without the proprietary stuff and then just enable the relevant repos to get access to the additional software after installation. That has worked for some people.

I had no problems whatsoever with the ROSA installation but I know that results do seem to vary quite a bit.
Bob_Robertson

Jul 16, 2012
9:18 AM EDT
Caitlyn, that was rather tongue-in-cheek, the Debian bugtracker is very efficient in its automated way, acknowledgements are rapid and efficient, easy to add more information, etc.

It's still good to be the King.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!