For the LXer CAD experts

Story: 5 More Best Free Linux CAD ToolsTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
caitlyn

Jul 21, 2012
5:29 PM EDT
Between the two articles on Linux Links they have now listed 11 FOSS CAD apps and one proprietary app for Linux. I still hear and read people claiming that AutoCAD is irreplaceable and that's why they can't run Linux. Is that still true? Do any of these dozen CAD apps come close to or equal AutoCAD? I'd like to be armed with a response next time someone starts listing things Linux can't do and includes AutoCAD.
capn_leaky

Jul 21, 2012
7:04 PM EDT
From my experience, in manufacturing, everyone uses 3D parametric CAD. The most popular for smaller oufits seems to be Solidworks.

I admit that SW is really pretty slick, I can't imagine doing my job without it. They are pretty much tied to Windows too tight to ever make a non-Windows version.

AutoCAD still rules in archtectural CAD. But manufacturing and tooling work left 2D years ago.
caitlyn

Jul 21, 2012
9:14 PM EDT
While what you wrote is very informative it doesn't answer my question at all. People tell me they can't imagine being without Microsoft Office or Adobe PhotoShop even though there are perfectly good FOSS alternatives. Have you tried any of the FOSS 3D CAD alternatives? Are they any good?
BernardSwiss

Jul 21, 2012
10:00 PM EDT
I assume you mean separately from the issues of file-format compatibility, interchangeability, and "standardization", etc.?
Fettoosh

Jul 21, 2012
10:15 PM EDT
Quoting:AutoCAD still rules in archtectural CAD

May be because you never heard of Intergraph and on wikipedia on wikipedia

tracyanne

Jul 21, 2012
10:57 PM EDT
KiCad looks quite nice for some stuff I want to do.
capn_leaky

Jul 22, 2012
7:54 AM EDT
Caitlyn,

I have tried most of the free 3D CAD packages ar one time or another, and for features, creating drawings from the models, creating assemblies of various models, and ease of use, there was no comparison with what I use in Solidworks.

File formats are generally not a problem for the parametric models. I think some of the packages support common formats like iges, but it's been a while since I tried. Most 2D support dxf.

Fettoosh, I've heard of it. But my experience locally still seems to show that AutoCad has a larger presence.

If I used 2D, I would look at the linux version of DraftSight from DSS, same people who make SW. It is not FOSS, but a free download.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!