Nokia is infected with a Microsoft mole

Story: Nokia is dismissing Meltemi, a Linux-based platform for feature phonesTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
r_a_trip

Jul 27, 2012
6:53 AM EDT
Any project that might secure Nokia's future -- Meamo, Meego, Meltemi, Qt, Symbian -- is being killed by management. We have to consider the option that Nokia management is working for another master.

My bet is on MS. For them it is win-win. If Nokia somehow (maybe with black magic) succeeds to make Windows Phone hot, MS has its entry in the smart phone business. If Nokia fails, MS can whisk up Nokia's vast patent portfolio for peanuts and extort revenue from all other phone manufacturers.
tracyanne

Jul 27, 2012
7:06 AM EDT
I think several of us have already come to that conclusion, previously.
Koriel

Jul 27, 2012
2:49 PM EDT
What do mean mole, Nokia is MS in everything but name I think that has been very obvious from pretty much day one of the switch to the MS platform.

MS is nothing but a patent troll and thus their really only real interest in Nokia is patents, they couldn't give a monkeys scrotum for the phones, as a producer of phones Nokia is finished.
gus3

Jul 27, 2012
4:04 PM EDT
Nokia is effectively a Microsoft subsidiary, ever since they hired Elop.

Who thinks otherwise is a fool.
Ridcully

Jul 27, 2012
5:40 PM EDT
Spot on gus3. Of considerable interest to me however, is what the Finns think of Microsoft's progressive (deliberate ?) destruction of one of their biggest and best companies.
DrGeoffrey

Jul 27, 2012
6:54 PM EDT
Anyone remember the infamous "efficient markets theory"?

From all I can gather, Nokia's shareholders are getting screwed, royally. Whither this sacred cow of a theory?

Is this another dimension of "create your own 'un'reality?" Or, am I full of it (again)?
BernardSwiss

Jul 27, 2012
7:02 PM EDT
So, the "invisible hand" is a "sacred cow"?

How appropriate.
jdixon

Jul 27, 2012
7:04 PM EDT
> Anyone remember the infamous "efficient markets theory"? ,,, From all I can gather, Nokia's shareholders are getting screwed, royally.

Yes, they are. But that has nothing to do with the "effiicent markets theory". The efficient market hypothesis says that all information about a company is integrated into its price.

See http://www.investopedia.com/terms/e/efficientmarkethypothesi... for the gory details.

Nokia's terrible management IS being reflected in the company's price.
BernardSwiss

Jul 27, 2012
7:06 PM EDT
Is this going to end up being all about patents?

Nokia is effectively already an MS subsidiary. If that status becomes official, formalized by actual purchase, would Microsoft finally have actual, substantive patents to wield against Android, and perhaps Linux?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!