Quantal Questzal?

Story: What’s new with Ubuntu?Total Replies: 21
Author Content
ElectricPrism

Jul 28, 2012
6:55 PM EDT
Can we please stop with the poorly designed names like Quantal Questzal.

I really want Ubuntu/Linux to be taken seriously and when we get names like Ubuntu "Beefy Miracle" it's really hard to take seriously.

Why not Ubuntu 12.10 "Razor", or Ubuntu 13.04 "Dragon" - I bet few out there know what a "Questzal" is - can we just stop trying to look smart and start making smart decisions instead? Lets make a simple OS that does everything we could ever want with great extensibility instead of an OS to "make you look smart" and geek out over.
helios

Jul 28, 2012
7:11 PM EDT
It's the same argument I've been making for years. The Linuxphere is littered with goofy, unpronounceable, clumsily-named software. Some of it is in a different language such as kazehakase (English interpretation of the Japanese pronunciation) and that's fine. But for stuff like Guayadeque, ZynAddSubFX, Gwibber....just to name a few?

You get no argument from me. If we want to be taken seriously as a mature platform, our software developers need to quit naming their work like a bunch of giggling 12 year olds. But I've made this case before and many do not agree.

What's in a name? From a business standpoint, it could be what your customers think of your work before they ever try it.

MALsPa

Jul 28, 2012
11:22 PM EDT
ElectricPrism, it's Fedora 17 that has the tag "Beefy Miracle," not Ubuntu.

I could do without names, too. Debian Squeeze, Debian Wheezy, two more examples that I never warmed up to. But we can just use version numbers when we write about the releases if the names are too annoying.
tracyanne

Jul 28, 2012
11:34 PM EDT
Calling Android Ice Cream Sandwich doesn't seem to have done Android any harm so what's the problem. Microsoft and Apple and every other tech company seems to go in for goofy names, too

here's a list of Microsoft codenames for their projects https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_codenames
jhansonxi

Jul 28, 2012
11:46 PM EDT
I submitted a proposal for a Fedora 13 code name - Crystal Lake. Their convoluted naming requirements didn't make it easy to come up with a valid entry. They ended up with "Goddard" which didn't make much sense to anyone except them. At least my proposal had tie-ins with cinema.
helios

Jul 28, 2012
11:47 PM EDT
Tracyanne, pointing out other's goofy behavior doesn't validate another's goofy behavior. Someone has to be the adult. Fun is fun and I enjoy a good turn on words as much as anyone else, but when it hits the unpronounceable or the juvenile, (unless meant for that audience) then someone has to put on the big boy pants.
Steven_Rosenber

Jul 28, 2012
11:58 PM EDT
I love goofy names. Beefy Miracle is probably the best release name ever.
tracyanne

Jul 28, 2012
11:58 PM EDT
My point is that it's never done anyone any harm, or has maybe Microsoft lost sales because of their goofy naming conventions.
djohnston

Jul 29, 2012
2:00 AM EDT
Quoting:ElectricPrism, it's Fedora 17 that has the tag "Beefy Miracle," not Ubuntu.

And, it's actually Quantal Quetzal, without an s. But, what's in a name?
helios

Jul 29, 2012
10:12 AM EDT
TA....I suppose you do have a point. When you have no real competition and are considered a monopoly, or you are a geek, hobbiest project, then no one really has much to say about it or cares. I think in a business competitive environment, it could make all the difference in the world.
albinard

Jul 29, 2012
12:19 PM EDT
Remember George Carlin's naming riff: you just can't warm up to a name like Uncle Fred's Bank, or First National Ice Cream Parlor.

The only question is whether you want to be taken seriously.
helios

Jul 29, 2012
12:35 PM EDT
@ albinard.....

Kinda my point.
flufferbeer

Jul 30, 2012
12:53 PM EDT
How non-Qt qute; Baboontu fanbois strike again, defending their QQ naming nonsense :)

-fb
Bob_Robertson

Jul 30, 2012
12:54 PM EDT
Ubuntu, by any other name, would smell as ....?
helios

Jul 30, 2012
1:12 PM EDT
FB You sir are Korrect.
tuxchick

Jul 30, 2012
1:40 PM EDT
Bob, 'would smell as quappy'

hahahahaha that was a good one :)
Koriel

Jul 30, 2012
2:21 PM EDT
I always try to name my apps based on their function but also keep them sensible and semi-memorable.

Its surprisingly difficult to do, or maybe its because I have always sucked at using the English language.

I stay away from the juvenile naming systems but i'm probably the only one who does like the KDE naming system.
helios

Jul 30, 2012
10:48 PM EDT
Koriel...personally, I don't mind it either. It was just low-hanging fruit.
BernardSwiss

Jul 31, 2012
12:47 AM EDT
> I always try to name my apps based on their function but also keep them sensible and semi-memorable.

Why not do what Big Business does, and name your apps according to ;-) sensible criteria : ie. the images and feelings, the connotations and perceptions you want your app to evoke, instead?

There's absolutely no need whatsoever to confuse your users (or worse, give them expectations) by following a scheme such as you suggested.
tracyanne

Jul 31, 2012
2:37 AM EDT
Gnu Image Manipulation Program is a name that tells you exactly what the program does, while Adobe Photoshop sounds like a place where you buy photographs, or perhaps cameras, go figure.
caitlyn

Jul 31, 2012
8:38 AM EDT
I think Canonical could stick with their cutesy animal names but I'd like them to accurately reflect the quality of the product. Here are my humble suggestions for upcoming releases:

Rabid Rhinoceros, Stupid Slug, Terrifying Tarantula
number6x

Jul 31, 2012
12:18 PM EDT
TA:

Adobe Photoshop sounds like a place to buy cameras and film in Taos or Santa Fe, New Mexico.

It's a block west of the Adobe Muffler shop, and right across the street from a place with great green chile cheeseburgers. Try the spoapillas with honey.

I think I'll use the gimp to alter an old photo showing the location...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!