Amazing attitude

Story: yorba, a modern Gnome company!Total Replies: 2
Author Content
cr

Jul 29, 2012
11:06 PM EDT
From blog entry http://blog.yorba.org/eric/2012/04/shotwell-0-13-to-become-a...
Quoting: Lossless-only means support for legacy image formats such as JPEG will be dropped, a forward-looking move Yorba founder Adam Dingle praised as “position[ing] Shotwell a generation ahead of competing photo management solutions.”

Upon installation, Shotwell 0.13 will upconvert the user’s existing JPEG image files to the lossless DNG format.

Users requiring additional space for their upconverted photos will be directed to a site where they may purchase a new hard drive. A percentage of proceeds from these purchases will fund Shotwell development.

As Yorba’s Jim Nelson wrote on a blog post, “As a Gnome application, our goal is simplicity. Dropping support for legacy formats such as JPEG is one step toward that goal.”

There's that modern Gnome attitude again: "I know what you need, and that's all you need, and your opinion doesn't count." I'm so glad to be forewarned.

EDIT: Okay, I got played. This was an April Fools post; color me fooled.
jdixon

Jul 29, 2012
11:36 PM EDT
> This was an April Fools post; color me fooled.

The fact that an April Fools post was so easy to mistake for the real thing pretty much says everything you need to know about Gnome development though, doesn't it?
cr

Jul 30, 2012
3:40 AM EDT
Yeah, the discrepancy was in degree, not in kind. It's still embarrassing.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!