There might be several reasons for that

Story: id Software: Linux Hasn't Produced Positive ResultsTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
tracyanne

Aug 05, 2012
3:25 AM EDT
None specifically to do with Linux. Like maybe ID were the only ones doing it... and maybe they weren't getting any gamer friendly response from the Graphic card manufacturers, and maybe just maybe, gamers did see the point of having Linux for the ID ports, and Windows for everything else. Maybe to some extent that will taint Valves initiative. But is Window 8 is as bad for games as Valve and others seem to think maybe there will now be some real momentum, that The Gaming companies can bet on.
jacog

Aug 05, 2012
9:22 AM EDT
Also not sure what data they are using to support this claim. Usually with the id stuff one had to buy the Windows version and then download a native Linux client for it. One could also download these native clients from unofficial sources, which is why I suspect their information is screwy. What he's probably saying though is... we do 1% extra work for the game to be cross-platform, but it only earns us 2% extra revenue that we know of.

Also, id makes one type of game only, first-person shooters, an over-saturated genre.
Jeff91

Aug 05, 2012
12:31 PM EDT
Every ID "port" have used is piss poor. If I gave it to one of my family/friends to install they would stare at me sides - having to track down a Linux client (no including it on the disc) and then import the game files (often manually) is horrible and lacks a pile of polish.

~Jeff

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!