Next on my list of distros to play with

Story: Fuduntu reviewTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
caitlyn

Aug 09, 2012
1:16 AM EDT
Fuduntu is the next distro I want to experiment with. I've read lots of positive comments about it and I really want to see how Jupiter does on my netbook.
caitlyn

Aug 10, 2012
11:09 PM EDT
Edited to update:

For a bit I thought maybe not. I tried creating a live USB or a live SD card using unetbootin. Booting on my netbook from live USB or SD card I saw:
sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
Erased the contents on the USB drive and copied the iso with dd. That worked. Sometimes good old command line tools are the only way to go.

OK, got it up and running and found I had no wireless. It seems Fuduntu doesn't include Broadcom firmware even though it's now permissible to redistribute it. Oh well... I'll see how much patience I have to make this work.
helios

Aug 11, 2012
3:20 AM EDT
Tried it last week....ran into the same issue with my broadcom chipset. That stopped me dead in my tracks and I proceeded no further. However, I'm liking the Fedora look and feel, I gave Kororaa a shot. Superb KDE desktop for those that might want to re-enter the KDE DE. Everything worked out of the box both my laptop and desktop. Pretty slick distro. I hope Fuduntu gets the driver thing fixed......lots of users will just blow it off if they don't.
caitlyn

Aug 12, 2012
5:20 AM EDT
Ken, I got an e-mail from Andrew Wyatt (Fewt) and it turns out the Broadcom drivers is on the iso. He wonders if Jupiter is blocking it for some reason and it doesn't look that way to me. I'll play with it more tomorrow but I think it may be a matter of installing one package or else forcing a kernel module to load to make it work with the Broadcom chipset. If that's the biggest bug I run into I won't have much to complain about.
helios

Aug 12, 2012
3:27 PM EDT
Me niether Caitlyn....other than that, it's a fun, productive distro and I admire the work that has gone into it.
DrGeoffrey

Aug 12, 2012
3:56 PM EDT
But, why not use Mate?
helios

Aug 12, 2012
6:46 PM EDT
Mate is ok, but it freezes my screen way too much. Besides, it it built on GTK2 technology (the last time I used it) and GTK2 will soon enough be abandoned or die. Would rather use the SolusOS soon-to-be-released Gnome desktop that perfectly mimics Gnome 2 while using GTK 3 theming and technology. I'm just not sure if the SolusOS devs are going to release it as a stand-alone project or not. So far, it meets or exceeds all expectations.
caitlyn

Aug 12, 2012
8:00 PM EDT
In my case I use some Hebrew GNOME 2 applets that would need to be modified to use MATE libraries. I may look into doing just that but it is so much easier just to use a RHEL based distro or Fuduntu.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!