Au contraire

Story: Linux Is A Lemon On The Retina MacBook ProTotal Replies: 11
Author Content
Bob_Robertson

Aug 16, 2012
3:32 PM EDT
Rather, it is the hardware which is the lemon, when trying to run an exemplary OS such as Linux.

I'm almost surprised, actually. Considering that Apple is a hardware company, why not make it easy for people to run other software? It just means more hardware sales to those who happen not to like the Apple software.

Seems easy enough to understand.
montezuma

Aug 16, 2012
3:39 PM EDT
That isn't their business plan Bob. They run an interconnected web of overpriced hardware and software. Making one dependent on the other increases revenues because you cannot have one without the other, If they just sold you hardware to run linux then they couldn't charge you an exorbitant price nor cram OSX down your throat.

It all makes sense in a perverted Jobsian way.
Steven_Rosenber

Aug 16, 2012
6:09 PM EDT
Apple doesn't care about users running anything but the supplied OS. New hardware usually lags in terms of support from Linux and BSD, so this is an expected situation.

The thing about Apple is that somewhere between five and seven years after you purchase the hardware, Apple stops updating the OS and you're running an unpatched system ... unless you roll Linux or BSD onto it.
smallboxadmin

Aug 16, 2012
7:16 PM EDT
Apple is something different to everyone, it's a hardware company, it's a software company, it's a mobile company. Either way, Apple created a closed system for its hardware and software. This is done by design and they have no qualms about it, it works for them.

If it makes you feel any better, the retina display for the Macbook is having problems until the software can be, for lack of a better term, optimized for it. Just google "macbook retina issues".
jdixon

Aug 16, 2012
8:08 PM EDT
> ...somewhere between five and seven years after you purchase the hardware, Apple stops updating the OS and you're running an unpatched system ... unless you roll Linux or BSD onto it.

By which time the hardware will be well supported by Linux.

Apple doesn't support Linux. Apple doesn't release it's new hardware specs to Linux developers. Why someone would expect them to ship new hardware that works with Linux out of the box is beyond me.
Steven_Rosenber

Aug 16, 2012
8:38 PM EDT
Yeah, it's a nice transition, from Apple to Linux. Debian always ran great on my PowerPC Macs.
Fettoosh

Aug 16, 2012
9:20 PM EDT
The bottom line is, there are way too many suckers who are keeping Apple filthy rich.

Apple periodically comes up with a new gigs, or steals a good idea from some else to release a product before anyone else. With its marketing resources and the help of it worshipers, it makes a killing, even though other products have better features, properties, and resources.

montezuma

Aug 17, 2012
9:39 AM EDT
I wouldn't call them suckers exactly. I know a lot of people who want a very easy to use, pleasant and reliable system with little threat of malware. Apple know that sweet spot and are making maximal dollars from occupying it. It's a good business plan right now but I don't see it winning in the longer term because it is too closed. Android on smartphones shows why....
Bob_Robertson

Aug 17, 2012
9:43 AM EDT
Fettoosh,

"too many suckers who are keeping Apple filthy rich"

I saw someone post a "Please urge Apple to make their products ethically" graphic, over some Chinese factory worker.

I replied back, "I already do. I don't buy their products."

The person who had sent the graphic around didn't understand what I meant.
Fettoosh

Aug 17, 2012
10:19 AM EDT
Quoting:I know a lot of people who want a very easy to use, pleasant and reliable system with little threat of malware.

@montezuma,

I don't deny that. As a matter of fact, our kids recently bought my wife an iPad and she loves it. Two of them have laptops that run Linux/Kubuntu but they know she likes apple products. When I ask her to use her tablet, she replies, you mean my iPad! I reply, yeah, the tablet with useless USB interface.

That doesn't change the fact that mostly suckers buy what Apple offers. They just don't bother to look at other may be better products.

montezuma

Aug 17, 2012
4:12 PM EDT
@Fettoosh,

Well for folks like us an Apple product is a waste of money so we would be suckers buying one which is why all my machines run Linux. But the rest of my family want a brainless and pleasant interface so they love Apple products and they feed the machine. In my opinion Apple way overcharge for what they offer but I have to admit that at present the only super user friendly safe alternative is Android and it is the brainless interface that sells in volume. In my view Android (not Ubuntu) is the future of consumer Linux because of the number of installs.

Fettoosh

Aug 17, 2012
5:27 PM EDT
Quoting:In my view Android (not Ubuntu) is the future of consumer Linux because of the number of installs.

I agree but add another player whenever it is released. Vivaldi. It will have similar interface plus will have full fledged suite of FOSS applications, which users will welcome with open arms. According to my wife, tablets (argh, iPad) would replace her Netbook if it had office and other applications. Vivaldi will have all of that.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!