Steam really building behind Linux as a gaming platform

Story: A Linux Port Of Baldur's Gate Is Being Looked AtTotal Replies: 10
Author Content
skelband

Aug 31, 2012
10:40 AM EDT
Sorry for the pun.

I look forward to seeing a lot more of these stories.

Koriel

Aug 31, 2012
11:13 AM EDT
As a regular player of BG1 using Tutu and BG2 on Windows this is good news certainly for Linux users, bringing the greatest computer based RPG ever conceived to Linux would be an excellent start for true gaming on Linux.

Can't say the enhancements are that impressive as it looks like same engine with just greater graphics resolution so I don't think they will see much in the way of re-sales on the Windows platform as I don't believe these enhancements provide a good enough reason to upgrade my existing Windows versions but they deserve to reap rewards for making it available on other platforms.

Im certainly interested in purchasing it for Linux just to save me moving my butt 4 feet over to the chair at the Windows gaming machine.

I also have high hopes for Steam as well and Linux as an AAA title gaming platform so I could finally ditch the lone Windows machine.
jacog

Aug 31, 2012
1:10 PM EDT
I doubt we'll be seeing much in the way of "AAA" titles on Linux. Those companies all want to be on XBox, and that usually involves signing limited exclusivity deals with Microsoft. These types of agreements are usually PC-hostile, even towards Windows itself. I can very easily see Microsoft telling these people that they can't publish on XBox if they also plan to support Linux.

Tinfoil-hatty perhaps, but I'm finding it suspect that Bethesda Softworks is reportedly having difficulty in getting the first expansion to the game Skyrim to work on PS3. It's not new tech, just more content for the exact same game that already has a PS3 version.

I'm not too bothered though. The AAA market is growing increasingly stale. Maybe I'm just getting old.
skelband

Aug 31, 2012
1:29 PM EDT
@jacog

You might be right but what is coming out of this is an "environment" where including Linux as the platform is becoming more mainstream. Up until now, it was inconceivable for any significant games to come to Linux apart from the rogue exceptions such as Unreal Tournament (which me and the kids regularly do play on Linux).

The industry is a strange place indeed in two respects for me:

1) Why do so many TV shows, website etc in the business of selling media and the like seemingly still plump for iOS before Android since Android has by far the largest coverage? I get that people make more money on iOS games, but where the platform is used as a conduit or a marketing tool, why wouldn't you target the largest spread in the first instance?

2) Why do games developers target OSX rather than Linux? OSX is hardly a big platform compared to the consoles or Windows?

I think the answers are largely perceptual in nature.
gus3

Aug 31, 2012
4:52 PM EDT
skelband wrote:Sorry for the pun.
No, you're not. ;-)
BernardSwiss

Aug 31, 2012
7:45 PM EDT
Until Steam on Linux actually comes out, I'd consider it interesting,but distinctly uncertain. It's one of those things that appears to be a rather good idea, but still subject to the vagarities of a market in which MS still has excessive influence, and excessive propensity to wield that influence.

In the not-so-distant past we have examples such as Asus, Dell, and MSI to remind us that commitments to such MS-independent paths may be weaker than they appear -- or even illusory. In this case Valve's commitment may be stronger. They are less directly dependent on Microsoft than an OEM, and seem to have an actual appreciation of the fundamental, underlying problem, so they may be more resistant to the pressures and blandishments that MS can apply.

But it's much too soon to celebrate. The old sayings about counting things (chips, chickens, etc.) prematurely still apply.

That said, I am rather hopeful, even optimistic -- and I'm not even a "gamer".
tracyanne

Aug 31, 2012
8:58 PM EDT
I might even become a gamer in my dotage, if Valve follow through.
Koriel

Sep 01, 2012
10:11 AM EDT
Can't say im surprised about Bethseda & Skyrim problems on the PS3.

Its incredibly buggy even on a Windows PC, although its a great game and I have modded the bejeesus out of it, I still have to do about 3 game restarts a day due to it getting to a point where the game stops responding to mouse buttons and then their is the infamous "save game bloat" that has caused numerous issues on the XBox. Please note its not the mods causing the mouse button problem vanilla patched skyrim has the problem.

Now this is nothing new for Bethseda as they tend to concentrate on content and gameplay as opposed to ensuring a solid gaming engine if their previous stuff in the Elder Scrolls and Fallout series are anything to go by, all of which I have and have thoroughly playtested :).

I can testify to their general bugginess but most of the time none of the bugs are show stoppers and certainly they have never spoiled my enjoyment of Bethseda games.

At the moment im waiting for Thief 4 from the DeusEx Eidos Montreal team but the chances of a native linux version of that are zero.

I do believe that if Steam succeeds though that we may start to see AAA titles appear on Linux although granted it may be a mighty big "IF"
Scott_Ruecker

Sep 03, 2012
4:19 AM EDT
Baldur's Gate is the last PC game I played with any seriousness. Great Game..to be able to play it on my Linux would be very cool.

jacog

Sep 03, 2012
5:03 AM EDT
@Koriel Mileage seems to vary on that one. I've sunk many hundreds of hours into my modded-to-death Skyrim and have not experienced some of the bugs others have had. I still think it's suspicious that they claim to not be able to get Dawnguard working on PS3.
Koriel

Sep 04, 2012
4:27 PM EDT
@jacog Personally I think Sony have gone and shot themselves in the foot with the PS3 and I pretty much consider the Playstation a dying platform which is a shame as it pretty much means the XBox will become the one to beat. Maybe Sony will pull something out of the hat to save themselves in the gaming arena but by their recent performances I doubt it.

So I think Bethseda are not exactly knocking themselves out to deliver on this platform.

Of course this is just my opinion.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!