Still using Trinity every day.

Story: KDE 3.5 Continues To Live Through The Trinity DesktopTotal Replies: 11
Author Content
Bob_Robertson

Sep 04, 2012
10:15 AM EDT
My own contribution on the subject,

http://anarchic-order.blogspot.com/2011/02/debian-linux-6-an...

continues to be valid. I've continued to use Trinity-DE for my daily home machine. I salute the TDE folks for their efforts, although it would be nice if they would compile it for Debian Sid. Ah well, life is full of compromises.

djohnston

Sep 04, 2012
2:14 PM EDT
TDE is excellent on squeeze. I just wish they'd update their repos and packages to work on wheezy, as well.
Steven_Rosenber

Sep 04, 2012
6:17 PM EDT
Maybe when Wheezy goes stable they'll build TDE against it.
vagabondo

Sep 05, 2012
1:16 AM EDT
Is there any advantage in using Trinity over KDE-3.5.10 ? I just wonder because there seems a lot of negative comment regarding Trinity's support for KDE-3.5 applications, and 3.5.10.1 is still part of current distributions (e.g. openSuSE-12.2, due for release today).

Bob_Robertson

Sep 05, 2012
1:35 PM EDT
Vagabondo,

Although released on openSuSE, is KDE3 still being "supported" at all? I don't think so.

While Trinity-DE is certainly lacking in man-hours being spent on support, it does actually _have_ support.

Steven, yes, I'm sure TDE will be compiled against whatever Debian has as Stable. I just need some of what Sid provides, and mixing ones versions is a good way to create just enough chaos to be "interesting" in a Chinese Curse sort of way.
vagabondo

Sep 05, 2012
2:23 PM EDT
"Although released on openSuSE, is KDE3 still being "supported" at all?"

Depends on what you mean by "support ed". It is maintained in working order for the supported openSuSE versions, hence the change from 3.5.10 to 3.5.10.1. Compatibility issues are addressed, but there are no new features. New features seem hardly the point for a "retro" UI. This is not just a case of keeping the old repositories. As I said before KDE-3.5.10.1 is on the openSuSE-12.2 DVDs released today and can be chosen as the desktop, albeit not so simply as the current versions.
Bob_Robertson

Sep 05, 2012
3:01 PM EDT
Ah, thank you.

So the reason for Trinity-DE is that they are in fact fixing things. Like my favorite example, allowing "compress" on the "trash" file in Kmail.

I don't know that all that many "new" features need to be added anyway. It's not like there was some terrible lack of features in KDE3.5 that made it unusable, or that one cannot use new programs as they come out in Trinity-DE to account for new development.

But then I also like standard transmissions.
flufferbeer

Sep 05, 2012
6:21 PM EDT
Funny, there's also the Trinity Rescue Kit besides this Trinity-DE. The TRK distro is used to fix up M$-Lo$edoze mess-ups.

2c
jdixon

Sep 05, 2012
8:05 PM EDT
> Funny, there's also the Trinity Rescue Kit

Yep. And a very useful tool it is.
Francy

Sep 06, 2012
2:15 AM EDT
There's a new kid on the block, so to say .

http://exegnulinux.net/index.html

I downloaded their 'preview4' and installed it.

--http://exe-linux.fastfishwebsolutions.com/trinity/preview/-- dated 20June2012.

I think I am going to like it ( somehow ! ).
Bob_Robertson

Sep 06, 2012
9:51 AM EDT
Francy, nice! Thanks for the pointer!
jdixon

Sep 06, 2012
10:10 AM EDT
Unfortunately, I recently upgraded my Slackware 13.1 box to 13.37, in preparation for upgrading to 14.0 when it comes out. And Trinity only supports 13.1, so I uninstalled it. :(

It worked well while I had it installed. I suspect the packages would work with 13.37 too, but I doubt they will work with 14.0. I may have to try to build it some time and see how it goes.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!