Another live "review" (sigh)

Story: Review: openSUSE 12.2 KDETotal Replies: 8
Author Content
caitlyn

Sep 13, 2012
11:06 AM EDT
Here is another "review" that amounts to playing with a live USB image for a short period of time. The net result is there is no depth, no real evaluation, and not much useful information. It also seems one of the most important criteria being evaluated is the ability to a couple of proprietary software packages including one from Microsoft (that's Skype). Is that really what's important to most people?
skelband

Sep 13, 2012
12:13 PM EDT
Here is yet another "comment" from a journalist disparaging an article from another reviewer.

Seriously though, there's little wonder that Linux isn't the big desktop platform that it might otherwise have been if anyone who dallies into the Linux realm is subjected to this kind of thing.

Linux is becoming popular. It is seeing increased take up and getting more into the public eye. So people are going to talk about it. Some reviews will be great, some less so. I really don't understand these pathetic tirades from the same culprits over and over again. Is it not enough that people are getting excited and writing about Linux even if the writing and content aren't up to your high journalistic standard? Isn't it only ultimately to the greater good?

Sorry, I've had enough and I'm out.
caitlyn

Sep 13, 2012
1:19 PM EDT
First, I'm not a journalist. I'm a consultant who primarily acts as a Linux architect and administrator. Second, if an article (or type of article) is cr@p I have every right to say so and express my opinion just as you have the right to express yours. Third, there are many reasons why Linux isn't popular on the desktop, such as the lack of preloads in stores, but being critical of a poor blog post isn't one of them.

Android is popular. Linux on the server is popular. Linux is becoming popular on the desktop? The opportunity may be there but I honestly don't see that happening yet.

Finally, if any comment complaining about a poor blog post being presented on LXer as a substitute for real journalism is a "pathetic tirade" then I guess you're going to see a lot of tirades. No, this sort of thing is NOT helping. It isn't for the greater good. It gives a less than accurate picture and that helps exactly no one.

What on earth is your point? You don't like criticism? Any criticism of someone writing about Linux is somehow harmful? We should worship the great and almighty Linux and venerate anyone who spreads the love? Sorry, I don't get it.
penguinist

Sep 13, 2012
6:22 PM EDT
@skelband: +1

I am in full agreement with you. These ultra-negative postings are getting very tiresome, boring, and unhelpful.

If we are going to be a community, it behooves us to lift each other up with encouragement and helpful coaching.
Jeff91

Sep 13, 2012
7:14 PM EDT
I really hate that the world we live in today prevents us from giving negative feedback without being attacked in the process. Not all things are good - some times people do things poorly. They should be called out on the bad things they do just as much as the good things.

Everyone is not a winner - not all articles are well written.

~Jeff
tracyanne

Sep 13, 2012
8:31 PM EDT
I'm about to write a review about Ubuntu 12.04, I can't guarantee that it will be a good, as in well written review, but i can guarantee that it won't be from a Live CD, or even a USB stick. I've been running it on a 10" netbook for just over a week now, as my secondary computer - meaning the one i carry around with me when I go out.

Just please don't slap me too hard, if it's not good.
caitlyn

Sep 13, 2012
9:07 PM EDT
@tracyanne: You installed the distro. You are much, much more capable of writing a decent review than someone who doesn't do that simple, basic step. From what I've seen you write well. I expect that, whether I agree with it or not, your review will be well written and will accurately reflect real world experiences and expectations, at least for someone with a similar netbook. That's all anyone can ask.
andyprough

Sep 14, 2012
11:39 PM EDT
I disagree - Prashanth did a nice job with his review, and he pointed out right up front that he was limiting his time with openSUSE 12.2 to a quick USB drive analysis in order to see if the problems from his last review had been handled - namely the installation of Skype and Google Talk. He was concerned about those because those two are key packages for him - probably for communicating with his family and friends back home while he is studying his graduate degree in Florida. Skype and Google Talk had worked for him on 11.4, and stopped working with 12.1, so he was interested to see the progress on those fronts.

He was able to show how to install these packages and get them running, along with Redshift - so he did a good bit more than just explore the menu options and report about openSUSE's default programs. He ultimately reported that he liked it enough that he will probably eventually be doing a long-term review of 12.2.

Prashanth is a good guy who is willing to share his experiences with everyone. It's been nice to follow his career on his blog. If LXer readers don't like his reviews, then I would suggest not linking to them.
theBeez

Sep 17, 2012
1:18 PM EDT
Although I agree that a review cannot be complete if you just do a Live CD, note that the vast majority of "professional" reviews are made like that. If you're lucky (or unlucky depending on your point of view) that guy actually installs something and depending on his knowledge you get "Linux is still flawed" (don't like four letter words - apart from darn - it's a lack of civilization, decency and vocabulary in general) or "It requires some work". In-depth reviews are RARE. Longterm reviews are even rarer. That's why I like German mags - these guys actually know what they're talking about.

So if the writer clearly states how he came to his review, you can take that into consideration as a reader. So if you don't like "first impression" reviews, you can quit after the first few paragraphs - no harm done.

If you don't like first impression reviews, you're free to say so. If we don't like persons, who don't like first impression reviews, we're free to do so. Hey, opinions are like noses - everyone is entitled to have one. Even those who don't deserve to smell the perfume.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!