Ubuntu Lenses

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
tracyanne

Sep 20, 2012
7:09 AM EDT
Ok so I've been trying to evaluate Ubuntu Ub=nity lenses. So I installed 2 that are in the Ubuntu Software Centre... Ask Ubuntu, and Wkipedia Lens.

The first purports to enable you to ask questions of Ubuntu on some Ubuntu Forum or help centre (not really sure). The second allows you search Wikipedia. Both enable these searches via the Dash. In both cases they open a web browser, so they don't really save you much if any time to perform the search.

The Wikipedia one works passably, in that it returns useful results, that are pertinent to your query.

The Ask Ubuntu lens returns the following to any query i have so far posted.

Quoting:Oh tin of pink meat / I ponder what you may be / Snout or ear or feet?

I'm not sure what their games is, but in case anyone has ever wondered why I was only briefly a member of the Ubuntu Forums, the attitude embodied in that response is pretty much why I'm not.
cr

Sep 20, 2012
9:12 AM EDT
Just a suggestion to try out with a throwaway account... Is it possible that they expect a valid login/passwd somewhere in there (edit: perhaps in cookies.txt), the lack of which causes this 'lens' to be treated as a comment-spammer as the terribly clever quote hints?
jdixon

Sep 20, 2012
9:12 AM EDT
Ubuntu Lenses. Are those like beer goggles?
CFWhitman

Sep 20, 2012
9:44 AM EDT
Quoting:Ubuntu Lenses. Are those like beer googles?
Now we're left to wonder if "googles" instead of "goggles" was a simple typo, an intentional play on words, or some kind of Freudian slip.
jdixon

Sep 20, 2012
10:51 AM EDT
> was a simple typo

A typo, which I saw and thought I had corrected, but apparently not. :(

It's changed now.
tracyanne

Sep 20, 2012
5:17 PM EDT
There's nothing to indicate you need login credentials, it simply tells you to ask your question, you click on the icon it loads the browserand it takes you to a web page witha form on it, nothing there indicates you need login credentials. You ask your question, and you are confronted by that arrigant message. Nothing in that message indicates you need login credentials.

I suspect all of the people I've installed Ubuntu for would decide that the Ubuntu Help system (as that is the function it appears to offer) is less than helpful, and that the people behind Ubuntu are Arrogant arseholes.

At the very least they would find it very confusing. And these are the people Mark tells us he wants as Ubuntu users.
flufferbeer

Sep 21, 2012
12:15 AM EDT
@tracyanne,

I think if you scream loud enough and get the attention of high enough team leaders, you'll find your troubles with the Arske Baboontu Help system resolved ASAP. And with extensive apologies no less! I'm also curious enough to know how quickly you'll get responses once the QQ 12.10 Hype Machine *really* kicks into high gear.

2c
tracyanne

Sep 21, 2012
12:23 AM EDT
@flufferbeer, my name isn't Linus

You cannot post until you login.