Some additional information

Story: My impressions of Ubuntu/Unity - Ubuntu 12.04Total Replies: 5
Author Content
tracyanne

Sep 22, 2012
4:40 AM EDT
I have since writing this added a proper menu, which makes using Unity a whole lot easier. The menu is a 3rd party addon, that locates itself in the "indicator" area. It's added using the following PPA

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:diesch/testing

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install classicmenu-indicator

See also How to install ClassicMenu Indicator in ubuntu 12.04(Precise)

There's also a plugin that enables placing the left side panel at the bottom of the screen.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:paullo612/unityshell-rotated

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install unityshell-rotated libnux-1.0-0 compizconfig-settings-manager

See also Install Ubuntu Unity Bottom Launcher Via PPA

Of course one shouldn't have to go to this trouble, but mark is determined that we shall do it his way.
Fettoosh

Sep 22, 2012
1:55 PM EDT
Quoting:but mark is determined that we shall do it his way.

"My Way or the Highway" attitude is against FOSS principles which are based on choice to encourage acceptance/adoption. Mark needs to learn the lesson of catching more flies with honey than with vinegar.

It shouldn't be too hard to have icons in System Settings just for the purpose of installing such handy tools/functions if they aren't going to be implemented as part of the standard roll-out.

tracyanne

Sep 22, 2012
6:52 PM EDT
The thing is Mark isn't marketing Unity to the FOSS communities, he's marketing to people who neither know nor care about FOSS philosophy.
caitlyn

Sep 22, 2012
7:49 PM EDT
Quoting:The thing is Mark isn't marketing Unity to the FOSS communities, he's marketing to people who neither know nor care about FOSS philosophy.
Absolutely correct. I know I'm not the target audience. That, plus the fact that I am about to start working in a SUSE shop, are enough reasons for me to ignore Ubuntu for now.
montezuma

Sep 22, 2012
9:51 PM EDT
I can't wait for 12.10 unity and its great Shopping Lens that delivers "useful and interesting" information to me about Amazon products and services.

Really Mark really?
tracyanne

Sep 22, 2012
10:47 PM EDT
A computer is no longer just a general purpose tool, it's a portal into the world wide shopping, gossiping and cruising web

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!