I'm Liking Trinity....

Story: Update to Trinity KDE 3.5 fork brings improvementsTotal Replies: 57
Author Content
helios

Oct 13, 2012
9:32 AM EDT
While I like and use SolusOS Desktop at home, I use SolusOS with the KDE 4 and the latest Trinity release at work. Because I move a ton of files from one place to another, I find dolphin and konqueror much faster via the context menu than Nautilus. I installed the .13 version yesterday and spent most of the day using it. It's like visiting an old and cherished friend after many years.

I was surprised at how much I remembered about how to navigate and customize the DE. I was also delighted by the low resource usage as well. I may have been a potty-mouthed foot-stomping, breath-holding spoiled brat over the KDE 4 mess, but they've done great work to bring it back around to a usable and stable environment. I can now say the same for Trinity. I just hope that it stays around for a good, long time. I know how unstable one man shows can be...life happens and if life happens to get in the way of your passion, well...let's just hope that others can pick up where the originator left off. I'm lovin' me some Trinity right now.
Ridcully

Oct 13, 2012
5:22 PM EDT
Good one Helios, but what is really upsetting me, and I just checked with the home site at:

http://www.trinitydesktop.org/

is that there is STILL no package for openSUSE......I have asked Tim Pearson in the past about this and there was at one stage somebody working on that version, but from all I can see, nothing now. It's a big gap but one hopes that sooner or later the openSUSE team itself might consider pulling Trinity on board as an option. Hope so.
slacker_mike

Oct 13, 2012
8:11 PM EDT
@Ridcully I thought openSUSE had packages for KDE3? Have you tried these packages? http://en.opensuse.org/KDE3

I know it isn't Trinity but since Trinity is supposed to be KDE3 seems like it would fit the bill.
Ridcully

Oct 13, 2012
10:43 PM EDT
Hi Slacker_mike........yes, I think there are original KDE3 packages on one of the openSUSE sites, but, and this is a very big "BUT", I also am under the impression that they are sorta, kinda "archival". The big difference between Trinity and KDE3.5 as it was, is that Trinity is under constant development and is a complete fork from KDE - Trinity is no longer KDE3.5 as we both knew it although like KDE4 in desktop view, it will on the surface resemble KDE3.5 in many ways. The updated Trinity is vastly improved in its software base and I understand the reasons for the jump from KDE3.5 to KDE4.0 have now been engineered into Trinity without the enormous leap that KDE4.0 was. I pass no judgements on that matter.

Now I stress that KDE4 in the sequence from about 4.4 onwards is terrific and I can modify it to behave in exactly the way I want. So, given these latest versions of KDE4, there is absolutely NO way I would now contemplate a return to KDE3.5, however the Trinity fork is now looking (from all reports I have) very, very, very nice and well worth a serious consideration for a work DE........hence my irritation (like an itch in the centre of the back) at not having a version that can be placed onto openSUSE because that is my preferred OS.
tracyanne

Oct 13, 2012
11:14 PM EDT
I'll have to get the Ubuntu PPA and try it on my netbook
Ridcully

Oct 14, 2012
12:55 AM EDT
Great tracyanne.....I'll be watching with enormous interest. I'll have to pull my Lenovo test laptop out of hibernation and throw one of the Trinity versions onto it.....even if I can't "scratch the itch", I can at least have a look at it, and your comments would be very highly valued.
Fettoosh

Oct 14, 2012
9:15 AM EDT
I left KDE 3.5.x long time ago and never looked back. Personally, after using KDE 4.x and enjoying the extra features, capabilities and much flexibility brought in, in addition to what KDE 3.5 had, I can't find any good reason to go back except for pretty old low resource hardware.

But, I understand that nostalgia could be a powerful factor sometimes. :-)

jdixon

Oct 14, 2012
9:48 AM EDT
> I can't find any good reason to go back except for pretty old low resource hardware.

You say that as if it's an inconsequential reason. For some people, it isn't.
Fettoosh

Oct 14, 2012
10:32 AM EDT
Quoting:You say that as if it's an inconsequential reason ...

In my opinion it is.

For the last five to seven years, all systems sold have more than enough hardware resources to run current versions of KDE 4.x.

The differential in power cost used by older computers versus new machines is enough to pay for a new replacement. Why would anyone want to keep an old clunker?

Only very small percentage of users keep older machines (including myself for testing purposes) for more than 3-5 years and no one is forcing them to use latest KDE.

jdixon

Oct 14, 2012
1:10 PM EDT
> In my opinion it is.

For you, I have no doubt it is. You're not everyone.

> Why would anyone want to keep an old clunker?

Because they don't have the money to get a new one, and the old one still works.

> Only very small percentage of users keep older machines

Maybe where you live. I know lots of people with machines over 5 years old.
Ridcully

Oct 14, 2012
5:53 PM EDT
Fettoosh and Jdixon, there is yet another reason.......sheer curiousity.

Fettoosh, you may be missing another point too: Trinity is NOT KDE3.5 in the same way that KDE4 is not KDE3.5. I have not yet had a play with Trinity, but my impressions are that it is fast and offers the user the KDE4 desktop view. It also seems to have less "resources hunger". My impressions continue to be that Trinity is the "Xfce of the KDE world" in terms of both speed and resources, but also is able to do anything that KDE4 can do and has all the software upgraded.

To move to Trinity would not be a backward step in any way that I can see.......in terms of the current crop of modern DEs, I'd say it was simply another good alternative: a mostly sideways step, perhaps with just a little to the front.

And I agree Jdixon: my HP laptop is a dual core 2.2Gig laptop with 3Gig of RAM and is certainly at least 5 years old.......It still does everything I want to do and is superb.......why upgrade ? It runs KDE4 very nicely, but it's always fun to experiment.
slacker_mike

Oct 14, 2012
6:01 PM EDT
Ridcully From what I understood TDE is very much KDE3 just with additional bugfixes and steps to make it more compatible with KDE4 apps. In someways I think your decription of an Xfce of the KDE world applies to razor-qt more as like KDE4 it is in QT4.
Ridcully

Oct 14, 2012
6:08 PM EDT
@Slacker_mike........I'm awfully deaf :-) so I am missing something in your second sentence. Could you say it again with a bit more explanation and slowly and clearly please, as I'd like to understand what you are putting forward.....eg, what is "razor-qt" ?
slacker_mike

Oct 14, 2012
6:31 PM EDT
No problem, razor-qt is a light desktop built using the QT-4 toolkit, same as KDE4. http://razor-qt.org/

Razor-qt has the potential to become an LXDE like desktop using QT. Since KDE3 and TDE use the older QT3 toolkit to me TDE is more like KDE3 than it is like KDE4 from my perspective.
Ridcully

Oct 14, 2012
7:40 PM EDT
Thankyou.......I had a look at the Trinity site a little more closely, particularly here:

http://www.trinitydesktop.org/about.php

Right at the bottom is this statement: TQt interface (lays groundwork for selective Qt4 compatibility).

I don't pretend to understand all these Qt ramifications as the razor-qt question implied, but it looks as if Trinity is working steadily towards partial or full Qt4 compatibility. Watch this space I guess. I must admit though, that from the link above, the specifications of the Trinity DE are becoming quite impressive......I'd suspect that it is certainly a large step above Xfce in terms of ease of use and interface control.
helios

Oct 17, 2012
12:49 AM EDT
Why would anyone want to keep an old clunker?....

Well, as inconsequential as it may be to some people, we have over 1500 kids in the Reglue ranks using "old clunkers" and they are absolutely thrilled to have them. Mostly higher ranged P4's and hyperthreads from 2005 +, they would be considered by some to be museum pieces, but to our kids, they are a shining doorway into a world they would never be able to open without them. The majority of them run on between 1 and 2 gigs of RAM and while KDE 4 struggles a bit on these machines, we've found that Trinity runs nicely on them. Not to mention that Trinity can be made to look much, much nicer than Gnome, without the overhead. If you have the luxury of being able to run any DE you choose, then I guess it doesn't suck to be you.

Many of us are blessed to have mission control-powered computers at our fingertips. Others are not so lucky and some would resent their pride and joy referred to as "clunkers". Another plus to this is that these machines remain in service and out of the landfills and e-cycle plants for an additional 3-5 years.
BernardSwiss

Oct 17, 2012
1:38 AM EDT
> Why would anyone want to keep an old clunker?....

I volunteer from time to time at the local FreeGeek -- where the core activity is dismantling those "old clunkers", and using the "good" parts to build "new" computers (running Linux, of course) that people can "earn" with the equivalent of 3 work-days (24 hours) of participation in this activity. Most of these participants can't afford a computer any other way.

There is also a thrift store in which (among spare parts, many no longer available as new) prettier/faster machines are sold to that part of the general public interested in a cheap computer with some recourse if the hardware fails, and are either willing to try Linux, or are prepared "convert" them to cheap Windows boxes, once they get them away from us Free Software freaks.

For many people, a reliable 3-5 year old "clunker" is far better than they hoped to ever have.
jezuch

Oct 17, 2012
1:40 AM EDT
Quoting:Why would anyone want to keep an old clunker?

What Helios said, plus: because it's fast enough? The only reason for me to upgrade is if the new thing was much, much more power-efficient, to the point of total silence. I don't need faster.
Ridcully

Oct 17, 2012
5:57 AM EDT
Well said Helios. I really have GOT to have a serious look at Trinity. What would really trigger Trinity takeup would be a major distro selecting it as an option. One has the feeling that it could be a winner.
dinotrac

Oct 17, 2012
6:22 AM EDT
Yup, y'all.

Personally, I hang on to my HP netbook because it's small and easy to carry and I've got other things to spend my money on than computers.

The better question for @fettoosh is, "Bud -- Why don't you go see if there are more entertaining ways to spend your money than just a newer and slightly more shiny screen putter-upper?"
Bob_Robertson

Oct 17, 2012
7:36 AM EDT
As a daily Trinity user, I can say for me it's not for older hardware (quad-core Phenom2 3GHz 4GB RAM) nor nostalgia. KDE3/Trinity works the way I like.

The "extra features" of KDE4 are not features I like. The functional changes are not changes that improve things for me, they are changes which decrease the ability for KDE4 to work _for_me_. It is _less_ functional.

Helios had a fit, as did I, and for valid reasons of personal preference. I don't understand why people are still arguing about this. Nothing satisfys everyone.
helios

Oct 17, 2012
8:20 AM EDT
Tony, have a look here:

Download speed averages 900KB/sec

http://apt.pearsoncomputing.net/cdimages/index_enterprise.ht...
PunisherHD

Oct 17, 2012
2:35 PM EDT
Hello, a good news for Trinity users, or curious people willing to try it :

The new 3.5.13.1 version will be available in a few days for the following new distributions : - Mageia 2 - Mandriva 2011 - openSUSE 12.2

The Trinity mirrors are currently being synchronized, so it will take some more days before the packages are actually downloadable. The web site will be updated when the download is ready (I would say in about one week).
Fettoosh

Oct 17, 2012
4:12 PM EDT
I am out of town having fun with limited Internet access (N.E. US). I will respond to some of the comments when I get back next week.

tracyanne

Oct 17, 2012
4:44 PM EDT
I'm traveling again, near your neck of the woods Tony, unfortunately with all the smoke in the atmosphere because of the fires in Bunderburg my Wireless broadband is a bit dicky.
Ridcully

Oct 17, 2012
4:49 PM EDT
Many thanks Helios.......From what I can see, the Intel x86 package has to be Kubuntu with Trinity already on top as the DE and not just a Trinity package to be installed separately ...And assuming that is the case, I have a very pleasant time in front of me this weekend. I'll come back to this thread and drop in some comments on my "first time" experiences. I also mention I am on the Trinity mailing lists and this thread is already being cited on those lists as supportive.

PunisherHD, I hope you are correct with the info on openSUSE 12.2. I have been bashing KDE4.8 into shape on 12.2 and so far with reasonable success. The only sticking bit is KMail which is now engineered to the "excessively complex stage" with respect to accounts, layouts, passwords, etc. - or at least that is my opinion. It works, but bashing KMail into shape is an exercise all on its own. As I have already said elsewhere, I am going to stick with openSUSE 11.4 when support ends this year by using the Evergreen project which will keep openSUSE 11.4 alive for another 2 years, and in which KMail still remains more or less conventional in its structure. By then I strongly suspect Trinity will begin to appear in distro options - I certainly hope so.
Ridcully

Oct 17, 2012
5:59 PM EDT
Hi Tracyanne.....messages via LXer homepage and email.
Francy

Jun 27, 2013
10:44 PM EDT
For those of us who are still interested in Trinity..........

http://www.trinitydesktop.org/
djohnston

Jun 27, 2013
11:23 PM EDT
Thanks, Francy!
Francy

Jun 27, 2013
11:43 PM EDT
@djohnston

I believe that for a short time you have been a PCLinuxOS user. Be informed that there will be a PCLinuxOS-non-official-TDE release, both 32 bit and 64 bit.

>>> At least, if my information is correct ! !

edit:

http://trinity-users.pearsoncomputing.net/?0::5045
djohnston

Jun 28, 2013
12:52 AM EDT
Quoting:I believe that for a short time you have been a PCLinuxOS user.

Quite a few years, actually. I contributed a few articles to the magazine parnote still publishes every month. Just switched to Debian (mostly) a few months ago. But, I'm having trouble with the Trinity Wheezy repos. There seem to be build-deps sections for Squeeze, but not for Wheezy. Think I'll try again tomorrow.

Bob_Robertson

Jun 28, 2013
8:48 AM EDT
I wonder when the Wheezy build will be finished?
djohnston

Jun 28, 2013
3:50 PM EDT
Quoting:I wonder when the Wheezy build will be finished?

Dunno. Can't say. The sources list for installing TDE in Wheezy is wrong. By digging through May's mailing list archives, I found a post with sources that work:

Quoting:deb http://ppa.quickbuild.pearsoncomputing.net/slavek-banko/axis... wheezy main

deb-src http://ppa.quickbuild.pearsoncomputing.net/slavek-banko/axis... wheezy main

You need the signing key, and that was provided in a separate post:

Quoting:apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.quickbuild.pearsoncomputing.net --recv-keys 80479E11

After installing TDE, I've encountered some glaring issues. First, any attempts to change desktop behavior result in a desktop reset with no changes made. (Right-click desktop, select Configure Desktop. Click Behavior in left panel. Under General tab, unclick Show icons on desktop or Show tooltips. Under Device Icons tab, click Show device icons.) I've found none of the settings in the Behavior section work at all.

Second issue occurs at login:

http://i39.tinypic.com/2yudm5k.jpg

Using the three finger salute at login makes me more secure? Color me skeptical.

Third issue comes when installing packages. The package retrieval speeds will begin, for me, at between about 800k/sec to 1.5m/sec. At some point, the retrievals will suddenly fall to between 15k and 30k/sec, less than dialup speeds. The package retrievals will then timeout completely. In order to counteract this, I open a terminal and ping the server. That keeps the connection alive for a while, but does nothing to help the crawling speed of the transmission. This behavior has been reproduced every time I install Trinity packages.

Other than those, everything seems to be hunky dory.

theboomboomcars

Jun 28, 2013
11:22 PM EDT
Quoting:Using the three finger salute at login makes me more secure? Color me skeptical.

Looks like they are pulling a page out of MS' playbook.

Ridcully

Jun 29, 2013
3:30 AM EDT
I'm still sticking with KDE4 . It seems to be getting better and better........BUT......I can have some very simplistic whinges about a few things. For instance, in KDE4.4 and some later versions, you had a marvellous "My Computer" icon at the top right of the display........This gave you full details of everything about your computer as regards Linux version, KDE version, the size of any drives, partitions and how much was used and free as a graphic, plus the same for any CD/DVD or usb key plugged in.......that's gone and the replacement is pretty much awful. It does not have the graphic display of the drives....in fact, I cannot figure out how it shows the drives at all.......and that was a VERY useful aspect of this original "widget".

Also, the icons on the panel change all the wretched time. The current versions are pretty lousy. For the life of me, I cannot figure out why standard icons have to change, and change, and change, and change......all it does is produce confusion.....Come ON, KDE developers, gimme a break and stick with something that is understood and recognisable.....You don't have to have change on these "little details" for changes sakes.

There........I've had me whinge. :-)
Fettoosh

Jun 29, 2013
1:57 PM EDT
@Ridcully,

I agree about the constant change, it seems the KDE developers are perfectionists and can't make up their minds. :-)

I am assuming you are referring to this which was discussed in Implement "My Computer" thing in KDE on the KDE forum.

Have you tried KDF or KDiskFree tool for disk space.

Edited:Might be interested in this

Ridcully

Jun 29, 2013
6:36 PM EDT
As an interesting aside Fettoosh, I was strolling around the internet yesterday and came across something in an article which reviewed openSUSE 12.2 or 12.3.....sorry, don't have the url.....But, the writer stated bluntly towards the end of the article that in his opinion, openSUSE 11.4 was the best version that has so far hit the streets. This may also explain why the Evergreen project continues to support openSUSE 11.4, and hence why I continue to use this now much earlier version in preference to much later versions.

There have been changes in openSUSE since version 11.4, and many of them in the later versions are definitely NOT for the better. The same applies to KDE4. Once again, one feels that the real reason behind the changes is to produce the "warm glow for developers" who are changing things because "they like to develop". It's understandable, but "so-called development" does not necessarily think of the ultimate ease of use and familiarity for the consumer. KWallet in particular in the above article came up for especial criticism. The KWallet program is to me a far bigger nuisance than an asset, especially when it is forced on you with the now overcomplex KMail.......and as previously mentioned, my old favourite, KPat has been replaced by a version which moves and wriggles each time you play a card and the card suites look artificial and repulsive, or at least to me. It's why I keep an old disk of openSUSE 11.0 sitting around and its version of patience continues to be dropped in to later versions of openSUSE. That original version of Patience was simple, elegant, effective, had excellent displays and features and it worked perfectly - it still does in openSUSE 11.4.....WHY, WHY, WHY, WHY did it need to be "developed" ? Again, development in my opinion went backwards, not forwards....sigh. :-(
jazz

Jun 29, 2013
9:27 PM EDT
It was posted a while back:

http://l3net.wordpress.com/2013/04/09/a-memory-comparison-of...

At 56MB memory in idle mode, Trinity is lighter than XFCE (76MB), and much lighter than Razor-qt (139MB) and KDE (201MB). Also, most of the time small memory footprint means faster software. I am currently running Trinity on my Ubuntu computer and I would not trade it for the normal KDE.
Ridcully

Jun 29, 2013
9:51 PM EDT
Jazz, I'd love to see Trinity as one of the options offered by openSUSE during installation......
djohnston

Jun 30, 2013
12:31 AM EDT
Quoting:At 56MB memory in idle mode, Trinity is lighter than XFCE (76MB), and much lighter than Razor-qt (139MB) and KDE (201MB).

139MB for RazorQt seems kinda high to me. I've got it at 98MB, according to Conky, in Wheezy with a lot of bells and whistles. Maybe the author used KWin, whereas I'm using Openbox as the window manager.

Francy

Jul 11, 2013
8:49 PM EDT
For all the Lovers and Haters of the KDE3 family ( smile-grin-smile )

http://trinity-users.pearsoncomputing.net/?0::5120
djohnston

Jul 12, 2013
12:22 AM EDT
Francy,

While it's all well and good that someone created a PCLinuxOS remaster, the ISO you are pointing to is behind a paywall.

Nevermind. I signed up for one of their free accounts. However, I can't figure out how to actually download the PCLinuxOS remastered ISO file. Do you think you could ask FileFactory if they could make their interface more unintuitive?
Francy

Jul 12, 2013
2:21 AM EDT
Here is how to access/download the file/iso. Enter the URL in the address bar of your browser. (( http://tatata )). Next, on this first page, scroll down. Choose the red slow download. The page will change and you should see the seconds ticking away. The page will change again. Look at the bottom and click:'click here to download now'. The rest is routine.

My download took 90 minutes, but hey, for that price But I agree with your unspoken remark, the ISO could have been hosted on a more appropriate site.

I just have installed and updated and added programs without any problems. One on 32 bit hardware One on 64 bit hardware

So far so good. I want to update the kernel to a kernel.pae ( 6Gb memory )

I let you know if anything goes wrong.

Have fun

Grin grin grin
Francy

Jul 13, 2013
5:18 AM EDT
As soon as the mirrors have finished synchronizing, the PCLinuxOS-TDE-non-official will be available from the Trinity website.

Just to let you know.
djohnston

Jul 13, 2013
8:22 PM EDT
3 hours and 10 minutes to download the ISO from the FileFactory site. It was worth the wait, though.

I was wondering why the ISO is so large. Now I know. Whoever remastered this threw the kitchen sink at it. I've got a bit of uninstalling packages to do. It's very pretty and fairly responsive.

Francy, thanks for posting the link.

Francy

Jul 13, 2013
8:50 PM EDT
@djohnston I found that uninstalling is a lot more difficult than installing. Of course, I am talking for my self on my hardware and my " unwanted " programs. However, I think I am going to be better of in the beginning if I create a brand new Menu with just what I want and leave the original menu hidden, and all the unwanted programs just where they are.

Whatever....I am really enjoying myself now.

The only thing that I want to know for now , is: How can I learn to do it myself.

Any ideas or any links-to...?
djohnston

Jul 13, 2013
10:41 PM EDT
Uninstalling is not that difficult. Synaptic has dependency checking. Just look at what else will be uninstalled when you make a selection and go from there.

Quoting:The only thing that I want to know for now , is: How can I learn to do it myself.

Do you mean remastering? Learn to use the CLI tool /usr/sbin/mylivecd. Run mylivecd --help as user root for the list of options. And, before you start, make sure the options you want for each new user are already set up in /etc/skel.

There are a lot of mylivecd threads on the PCLinuxOS forum. Do a search from the main forum page.

Francy

Jul 13, 2013
11:15 PM EDT
@djohnston

First, apologies for expressing myself poorly. I am aware of the remastering tool, and have done it a few times, with poor results. I read on the forums how to do it, but there was always " something ". So, I stuck so far with backups, either dd or clonezilla .

But what I was thinking about, was more like starting from scratch.

Then it downed on me, that there was a site LFS ( Linux from Scratch ) and BLFS ( Beyonf Linux From Scratch ).

As I am in the position of having ample time available, I think I am going to do some reading first.

Small explanation: After installing a standard distro, I always find myself uninstalling up to 70%, ( except PCLinuxOS-Minime = very good, imho ) followed by installing about 30 applications I am used to ( etc etc ).

So, for the LFS thing, wish me 'stamina', ... I don't need the luck !..... grin grin
BernardSwiss

Jul 13, 2013
11:34 PM EDT
You might find Crunchbang worth a look. http://crunchbang.org/

Or Bodhi http://wiki.bodhilinux.com/doku.php

They're both oriented to a minimilistic approach.
Francy

Jul 13, 2013
11:47 PM EDT
@BernardSwiss

Thanks for the tip. I am aware of Bodhilinux and will have a look at Crunchbang later on, but, It's more about < DIY > as anything else Grin Grin

Thanks for the reply
jdixon

Jul 14, 2013
8:16 AM EDT
> After installing a standard distro, I always find myself uninstalling up to 70%

You sound like the ideal Arch user. :)

Bob_Robertson

Jul 29, 2013
8:51 AM EDT
Many years ago, Debian "Woody" I think, the minimalistic bootable business card (<45MB iso image) still worked. And it would give an alarm, but not error, if there was no network available.

So I'd end up with a <45MB Debian install, with Busybox and some other serious short-cuts that would be deleted/overwritten right away.

Hand-edits of /etc/apt/sources.list (to Sid) and /etc/network/interfaces to get the thing connected, and apt-get update ; apt-get upgrade would bring the system into working order with no cruft at all.

A nice way to start. I've always liked the idea of LFS, just never felt like taking the time to do it.

Using Debian is like going to the biggest Chinese Buffet in town.
notbob

Jul 29, 2013
10:10 AM EDT
> would anyone want to keep an old clunker?

Why does everyone think they need to run out and purchase the latest greatest? I got two 10+ yr old P4 Vaio desktop boxes that work fine. Why toss 'em for new when they still do the job? I can surf, email stream vids, print, scan, play music, edit photos, etc. WTF else do I need to do? I'll trade up when they die, but I see no great advantage to dumping more garbage on the planet when these "old clunkers" do exactly what a new whiz-bang box will do, only a tad slower.

I'm no luddite, having jes purchased a new Plantronics cordless headphone and a new Brother laser copier/printer/fax machine, but why toss perfectly good equipment. Makes no sense. Heck, my newer Asus netbook gathers cobwebs while I flog these "old clunkers" unmercifully all day long. ;)

Bob_Robertson

Jul 29, 2013
10:18 AM EDT
Notbob, it took 7 years for me to change desktop machines, so I know exactly what you mean.

Getting off the Windows/Intel upgrade treadmill is difficult for some people.
cr

Jul 29, 2013
10:31 AM EDT
For those who're liking Trinity: the 3.5.13.2 release is now official -- http://www.trinitydesktop.org/

I'm currently running my network monitor (so, running 24/7 and always showing etherape no matter what else it's doing) as Trinity-3.5.13.2 over Ubuntu-12.04LTS, and finding the Trinity part far more to my liking than the Ubuntu part (no OSS, so no /dev/dsp, which breaks some scripts using wavplay; and random hard freezes -- never while I'm watching, so the screensaver might be involved -- requiring a hard reset to get working again). I'll probably redo this box with Trinity on Debian if I can find where I put my Round Tuit.
Francy

Jul 29, 2013
11:18 PM EDT
exegnuLinux 4.2 is out. It's darn fast on my comp, compared to other TDE releases. http://exegnulinux.net/
cr

Jul 29, 2013
11:35 PM EDT
So noted, thanks. I'll suck in the ISO tonight and have it ready when I've got some time to mess with the machines again.
Francy

Jul 29, 2013
11:42 PM EDT
Please note: I -didn't- say the other TDEs are slow. This one is just faster,,,here ! YMMV.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!