Once upon a time...........

Story: How to restore MRB in dualboot systemTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
Ridcully

Oct 15, 2012
5:55 AM EDT
.........Way, way back in the misty, fairytale days when Win98SE was king of the Redmond creche, I used Win4Lin on my SuSE OS. Even though it could be a pain to get going sometimes because it set up a modified kernel, it was a joy to use and Winbased software like Photoshop 7 ran like a scalded cat (sorry cat lovers). As a prelim to what became today's Virtual Machine situation, it was a marvellous piece of proprietary software and by golly Win4Lin worked well. Of course, it has now gone the way of the dodo.

These days, I simply don't mess about with either dual booting or virtual machines. My favoured option is simply to swap the hdd's over in my laptop and if there are any files that need to be transferred, a usb hdd caddy does the job perfectly. But honestly, how often do I actually NEED to boot into Windows ? Ummmmm......about once in every 6 months.......for me then, dual booting and mucking about with MBRs, who needs it.....? Okay, my needs are not the same as everybody elses, but it's a solution that works for me and I'll bet there are others who do the same.
pmpatrick

Oct 15, 2012
9:11 AM EDT
Quoting:MBR (Master boot record) is the default bootloader of Windows.
The author of this article appears to be very confused and does not seem to know what the MBR is if he believes the above to be accurate.

I also used win4lin back in the day to boot Win98SE and you are right; it was a great piece of software.
Ridcully

Oct 15, 2012
9:20 AM EDT
Yes Pmpatrick, from what I understand, Winbased software running on Win98SE and in Win4Lin ran virtually at native speed. I was always very pleased with the results and still have fond memories of Win98SE......the only Redmond OS for which I can seriously make that statement. Any time I turn a Windows machine on these days, I always wonder if I am going to end up with an operational system. Never worry with my Linux PC, but Windows...what it does one day is not necessarily what it will do the next.
jdixon

Oct 15, 2012
10:28 AM EDT
Allow me to add yet another kudo for Win4Lin. It ran great it it's day. I think I still have the installer somewhere, but I doubt it would work on modern systems.
dinotrac

Oct 16, 2012
1:20 PM EDT
Ah yes, Win4Lin.

It did work VERY nicely.

Yeah, the custom kernels were a mild -- but only a mild -- annoyance.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!