This actually is a good thing

Story: Fedora 18 Is Now One Month Behind ScheduleTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
caitlyn

Oct 16, 2012
6:19 PM EDT
I think a distro that releases when ready rather than meeting a release schedule come hell or high water produces superior results.

I've been accused of Ubuntu bashing but time and again I find more bugs and problems, including some showstoppers in a number of their releases, which make getting their distro to work properly on my hardware a royal pain in the you-know-what. Fedora, which has a reputation for being bleeding edge and problematic, generally just works better for me. So do lots of distros, some of which are a lot more friendly than the big U.

So... kudos to the Fedora developers and project managers for putting quality ahead of an arbitrary timeline.
lcafiero

Oct 19, 2012
4:49 AM EDT
I would agree, caitlyn, though I think Fedora's "reputation for being bleeding edge and problematic" is largely a myth now, moreso than it was a few years ago. Getting it right is more important than getting it out because you have to meet a deadline (like the end of April / end of October).
Steven_Rosenber

Oct 19, 2012
6:21 PM EDT
+1
Jeff91

Oct 20, 2012
7:37 AM EDT
This is why I don't ever post firm release dates for Bodhi. I always tell people

"it is ready when it is ready"

~Jeff
lcafiero

Oct 20, 2012
12:53 PM EDT
And that's how it should be, Jeff91. Hmmm, I seem to feel a blog post coming on . . . .
Steven_Rosenber

Oct 20, 2012
3:32 PM EDT
Now ... about that Fedora LTS ...
slacker_mike

Oct 20, 2012
3:39 PM EDT
Fedora LTS? Isn't that basically CentOS/PUIAS/Scientific Linux?
lcafiero

Oct 20, 2012
9:07 PM EDT
Steven_Rosenber -- You know, I used to beat that drum in the Fedora Project for LTS for some time. Now that I've moved on to working with another distro, I know there are still folks talking about it in Fedora circles. Whether we see it or not remains to be seen, but I hear you loud and clear.
Steven_Rosenber

Oct 21, 2012
7:48 PM EDT
Fedora has many, many more packages than RHEL. My idea for a Fedora LTS would be something with maybe a three-year support life, released every two years. I'm not talking about the five-year support life or Ubuntu, or the 10-year life of RHEL (not sure about that last figure).

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!