Nothing surprising here

Story: The Linux Setup - Brian Proffitt, Writer Total Replies: 10
Author Content
caitlyn

Nov 06, 2012
4:01 PM EDT
From what I've seen a rather large percentage of users basically run a few standard apps in ordinary ways. I've claimed for years that most ordinary users could move from Windows to Linux and not miss a beat once they got used to their new desktop.
gus3

Nov 06, 2012
5:49 PM EDT
IOW, a large percentage of users are "normal" (i.e predictable by the software designers and spec writers).

The rest learn how to write scripts to get what they want.
Ridcully

Nov 06, 2012
6:27 PM EDT
@Caitlyn.....my personal experience fits your comment precisely. Like Brian, an openSUSE OS (11.4 and KDE4.6 in my case) but for well over 80% of my time, my use is essentially Chrome browser with a little FFox thrown in, KMail and (blush) OO3.2 (I still prefer that package to LO.......dunno why, sheer conservatism I guess).

For the rest, very simple games like Windows Freecell in Wine, KPatience (the old KDE3.5 version, it runs much nicer than the latest KDE4 versions) and Shishen-sho.....yeah, dull, boring, but I like it. (Tracyanne has introduced me to pysol.......I have yet to have a play - but it looks very interesting.)

Occasionally, I use Photoshop7 in Crossover and (very rarely) test a document with Word in Crossover......but most of the time only a very small number of software packages will be run. Scripts ? Never use them, no need......the last time I ever programmed it was in Basic in my Win98SE days. Where's my club, I need to go and check the dinosaur pen. :-)
BernardSwiss

Nov 06, 2012
7:44 PM EDT
It's funny, isn't it, how a system built to be easily adaptable to users actual needs, is often less likely to need special tinkering and adjustments.
notbob

Nov 06, 2012
8:04 PM EDT
caitlyn wrote:.....users could move from Windows to Linux and not miss a beat once they got used to their new desktop.

No doubt about it. Even I, a longtime Slacker, possess no mysterious skills. I can't code, I don't want to, and I am not any kinda guru. I jes like using a computer in which "I" have full control over. I think that's a goal making a little effort worth it. It's certainly no worse than re-learning Windows every time they upgrade cuz they renamed and moved all the same ol' features to completely different locations. The linux CLI is no more arcane than DOS and the good part is, you only have to learn it once. bash is still the same as when I first began learning it twelve yrs ago.

To me, my computer is jes a tool. Something I can communicate with, learn with, reach out with, and do things I could not otherwise do from my rural locale, like banking, shopping, etc. My scanner works fine, my printer self-configured, my new flat-screen monitor required no driver install. I jes added a USB hub and my slack box didn't bat an eye. Didn't even hafta read the included instruction sheet. In short, it's easier to deal with than my newer XP netbook.

Yet, Windows users are afraid to make the leap. They hide behind the pretense of actually liking Windows and all the high priced add-ons and costly security software and flaky "reboot" requirements that make Window so annoying. My buddy, who is barely Windows literate jes paid in excess of $100 to have his HDD recovered after a drive-by download hosed his laptop. I jes sigh, knowing my advice to change over to linux will fall on deaf ears.
Ridcully

Nov 06, 2012
8:10 PM EDT
Yes it is, BernardSwiss.....For over a decade now I have used SuSE/openSUSE as my only Linux OS. I know it is incredibly manipulative and that KDE also can be tweaked in marvellous ways. I turn all special effects off, run in very simple "pseudo-KDE3.5" mode, and essentially leave the system alone unless I want to install something or remove something. I find openSUSE to be beautifully engineered, and the principle is that of Lord Vetinari of Diskworld: Si non confectus, non reficiat ("If it ain't broke, don't fix it."). I get very lazy I confess, but I always know what that system will do each time I turn it on........

My friend is a retired Windows networking administrator. He swears that he used to come in each day, turn the system on as required, and know, absolutely KNOW, that what it did yesterday was not necessarily what it would do today.
slacker_mike

Nov 06, 2012
9:00 PM EDT
I have to say I always enjoy the mylinuxrig articles. It is always interesting to hear about how people use their Linux machines and what applications they rely on.

I have to say for myself I prefer to not tweak my desktop endlessly as it is usually a sign that it isn't a good fit for me.
Steven_Rosenber

Nov 06, 2012
9:08 PM EDT
It's funny, I'm running into a problem: I can edit video pretty well with OpenShot and KDEnlive in Linux, but I'm stuck for a decent, free video editor in Windows 7. Yes, I did try Lightworks, but it's not at all ready for prime time. I couldn't import mp4 or mov clips, so that's where I stopped. I guess I could pay for Sony Vegas, but why? Linux wins.

(Note: I wish either of these FOSS video editing programs ran in OpenBSD; I've heard that KDEnlive runs in FreeBSD, but I'm skeptical).

So overall, Linux is kicking Windows around the block when it comes to video editing without spending $$$.
caitlyn

Nov 06, 2012
9:38 PM EDT
@Steven: I use avidemux for editing. I've only used it on Linux but it may be worth a try for the BSDs.
Steven_Rosenber

Nov 06, 2012
10:09 PM EDT
I tried avidemux on Windows, and it was a bust, but I should give it another try.

My disappointment in Lightworks thus far is huge. I'm hoping things improve by leaps/bounds if/when it gets to Linux.
caitlyn

Nov 07, 2012
2:33 PM EDT
avidemux has a fairly steep learning curve like all really powerful and flexible tools do, but it's worth the climb.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!