Cinnamon by any other name

Story: Current Temperature in Hades, 31 degrees F...0 degrees CTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
montezuma

Nov 22, 2012
3:11 PM EDT
I don't understand why the gnome devs don't just talk to the Cinnamon project and fold this back into gnome. Seems like the extension mentioned serves the same basic purpose. Cinnamon is also more configurable.
BernardSwiss

Nov 22, 2012
7:58 PM EDT
@montezuma

You really don't get this [strike]ideology[/strike] "vision" thing, do you?
montezuma

Nov 23, 2012
10:57 PM EDT
There was a very nasty thread on LWN about this involving several gnome devs. They basically claimed they would accept patches from Mint devs but that none had been forthcoming. Rather than venting and trolling on LWN might I humbly suggest that the gnome devs grow up and contact Clem and talk turkey.
cmost

Nov 24, 2012
10:44 AM EDT
@ montezuma

The problem with the Gnome devs is that they clearly think they know what's best for users. It would be beyond the pale for them to come down off Mt. Olympus to consult with the mortals about what they might want from the Gnome desktop. Clem Lefebvre on the other hand listens to his user base and let's their needs dictate the direction of the desktop. I think it's fantastic that Mint users can choose the classic Gnome 2.3x desktop a la MATE, or take advantage of newer GTK+ 3.0 technologies in a familiar workspace by way of Cinnamon. Isn't it the point of a community distribution to let the community guide the development?
montezuma

Nov 24, 2012
2:18 PM EDT
@cmost

Agree completely. What is unfortunate is that Mint has fewer developers than gnome and cinnamon builds on gnome 3 infrastructure.
helios

Nov 24, 2012
2:45 PM EDT
I've mentioned this before but it bears repeating. In the latest Mint Release, 14; the File Manager (Nemo) now offers context menu copy and move to all sub-directories of the home folder, not just home and desktop. Ikey Doherty of SolusOS is releasing the same feature in his fork of Nautilus, Athena. Not only is this an important improvement to us that use copy and move a lot, it also represents a huge amount of original work and coding expertise.

That's why I get highly irritated with people who claim some of the Ubuntu derivatives are just "pretty makeovers". They have no idea of the original work and improvement some of these people contribute.
AmyT

Nov 26, 2012
5:28 PM EDT
Whilst on the subject of Cinnamon (and Mint in general), why do I have to sign in somewhere to post a bug- in this case a problem with the Mate desktop distro version? Seems not too much to ask, surely, or am I missing a link somewhere? Just a small, teensie wee bug that needs squashed... BUT A MAJOR HASSLE FOR ANYONE WHO SIMPLY WANTS TO KEEP THE ISO TO A USB THUMB (sorry, got carried away in the moment). Cinnamon is fine, but Mate WON'T MOUNT ANY DRIVES!!! Just a little annoyance, I know. PS the x64 version.
Steven_Rosenber

Nov 26, 2012
6:18 PM EDT
In related news, Cinnamon is in Debian Sid: http://packages.debian.org/unstable/main/cinnamon-common

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!