On the TODO List...

Story: 4 things I have learned since I was given a Raspberry PITotal Replies: 4
Author Content
Jeff91

Dec 11, 2012
3:21 PM EDT
The RPI doesn't ship with wireless, so it didn't occur to me to include a GUI connection manager in the Bodh image since the wired connection comes up automagically.

This seems like it was a mistake though. Our next Bodhi for Pi image will be including Wicd GTK OOTB.

~Jeff
gary_newell

Dec 11, 2012
6:04 PM EDT
Unfortunately I only have mobile broadband because I live in the middle of nowhere, next to a small mountain and so there is no wired connection to my router. It is just a small brick that emits a wireless signal and therefore wireless is the only option for me.

I could have gone for the easy option of taking the SD card out and putting it in my laptop and then copy the Wicd GTK across to it but I wanted to learn the command line options again anyway so it did me a favour in that respect because it meant I learnt something.

The only other point to note is that within the Bodhi downloads page there are options for various package sets. It might be worth highlighting which ones are good for the the Raspberry PI. I wondered if the Pratibha application set (lighter packages) would work but it came up with an error. Installing packages individually seemed to work fine though and of course it was possible to use Synaptic to install packages.

Other than that I really like the default theme and it all hangs together really well with no obvious errors.
Jeff91

Dec 11, 2012
8:49 PM EDT
Our application center in its current form has piss poor ARM support (read: almost none) those application packages need to be rebuilt to add support for it - but I've been holding off on this because the application center itself first needs better cross platform support.

Some of it does work though - but the Pi is so god awful slow that APTURL is unbearable to use on the device. I'd highly recommend using Synaptic or the command line to install software on it.

As I mentioned in a recent blog post - I'm confused why the Pi is pushed so hard by Linux supporters. It really isn't any more open source friendly than most other ARM devices (read: binary blobs for drivers) and it very slow for how much it costs.

Personally I have high hopes for the A10 devices still flooding the market - the MK802 is my personal favorite.

~Jeff
gary_newell

Dec 12, 2012
4:23 AM EDT
I think the PI in its current form is a good starting point.

The original concept was to produce a computer that costs very little, aimed at students/kids that they can play with and learn how to program.

The gadget geeks though have seen other real opportunities for it and yes there are of course a lot of shortcomings but that in itself makes the users of the PI really have to think about what they are trying to do which is good as a learning experience.

I expect later models to become more and more powerful.

Am I also right in saying that the manufacturers wanted to source as many of the parts as possible from the UK and then have all the PIs made in the UK? I'm not sure whether they achieved that aim or whether they ended up going to China.
gus3

Dec 12, 2012
3:16 PM EDT
Their initial batch was made in China. The British manufacturers were unwilling to take the chance on the project until it had proven itself.

The manufacturing has since been taken over by the Sony factory in Wales.

Excuse me while cognitive dissonance takes ovr4wsfgr8fx&%

NO CARRIER

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!