A very good list

Story: Five reasons 2012 was a great year for LinuxTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
caitlyn

Dec 28, 2012
11:00 AM EDT
Katherine Noyes may have actually hit upon the same top 5 I would have chosen :) Seriously, this is a very good list simply because each of the items points to more good news for Linux in the future.
CFWhitman

Dec 28, 2012
12:23 PM EDT
It is a good list, and an article from Katherine Noyes that is actually more than a rehash of several different quotations.

One item that is interesting it "The Digital Divide." With all the low cost computing devices, like the Raspberry Pi, out there, things are getting rather interesting. Of course, a lot of these devices actually run Android, and that probably isn't the same boost to education and awareness that the Raspberry Pi itself is.

I would love to see, for example, a lot more smartbooks running a regular GNU/Linux build. It's funny that I'm starting to finally see some smartbooks available, but they're mostly low spec units running Android (Wolvol and Avatar smartbooks for example; I guess that's better than the old Sylvania ones running Windows CE). Of course, a lot of Android devices in use does contribute to a better cross platform Internet experience, and that is good.
Fettoosh

Dec 28, 2012
12:54 PM EDT
Quoting:Of course, a lot of these devices actually run Android,...

That will continue and will actually increase simply because Android is freely available, and will give anyone a big head start without having to spend a bundle on their own Linux version tailored for their specific hardware.

This is the reality we will have and we need to accept it since FOSS is not a business entity.

I am hoping the Vivaldi Project is going to succeed and open the doors for other such projects.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!