They are going to have to be powerful...

Story: 2013: The year of the Ubuntu Linux tablet and smartphone?Total Replies: 3
Author Content
Jeff91

Jan 02, 2013
3:29 AM EDT
I booted the Ubuntu image on my Nexus 7 - it was my first time using Unity in a long while.

Dear lord was it slow on the device! The desktop ate over half the 1GB of memory just loading up and it felt very clunky to use.

~Jeff
caitlyn

Jan 02, 2013
11:19 AM EDT
I think I'm going to hold out for KDE Plasma Touch and see how that works out. Ubuntu has never been good at streamlining resources and limited consumption.
penguinist

Jan 02, 2013
11:36 AM EDT
I've tried both the Ubuntu and KDE images on my Nexus 7. Neither is ready for prime time yet, but it is encouraging to see us moving forward with a pure gnu/linux tablet.

I've restored back to Android in order to make my Nexus useful in the mean time, but I'll be following the developments closely and am looking forward to what unfolds in 2013 in this mobile linux space.
CFWhitman

Jan 02, 2013
4:05 PM EDT
Has anyone tried one of the Bodhi builds for a tablet? I would expect E17 would be a bit speedier than the Unity or Plasma Touch based systems.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!