Yes, I wish people wouldn't be jerks sometimes, too.

Story: Free as in sexist? Free culture and the gender gapTotal Replies: 13
Author Content
Bob_Robertson

Jan 16, 2013
1:24 PM EDT
Male or female.
jdixon

Jan 16, 2013
2:51 PM EDT
If wishes were horses.... :(
gus3

Jan 16, 2013
3:01 PM EDT
There'd be meadow muffins everywhere you stepped.
Bob_Robertson

Jan 16, 2013
3:34 PM EDT
That's why the Duke of Wellington invented boots.
tracyanne

Jan 16, 2013
10:29 PM EDT
The real Question is how does one deal with jerks in an open community?
dinotrac

Jan 16, 2013
11:12 PM EDT
Open Source -> Open Criticism -> Open Ostracism

It should not be acceptable to abuse other members of the community. Period.
gus3

Jan 20, 2013
5:33 PM EDT
@dinotrac, tell that to Linus.

(Sorry for being offline for so long.)
dinotrac

Jan 20, 2013
11:12 PM EDT
@Linux doesn't abuse other members of the community.

Rips them new orifi for their actions, but that's a different thing.
Scott_Ruecker

Jan 20, 2013
11:39 PM EDT
There is brutal honesty..and then there's abusive behavior. Brutal honesty is needed sometimes, abusiveness never has a need.

Linus has never professed to be a "people person" and yes he has occasionally ripped into contributors (and others) for what had apparently gotten under his skin. But guess what? He gets to if he wants, he has proven time and again why he is gatekeeper of choice for the kernel. This is just my take, I'm not defending him. I have better jobs to fail at. :-)

Brutal honesty has a greater purpose other than just the strong language used to convey it. Abusive behavior has no purpose other than to make another feel like dirt.

I agree with Dino:

Quoting:Open Source -> Open Criticism -> Open Ostracism

If everyone who has ever heard of you has heard your a prick..there's probably a reason.
caitlyn

Jan 21, 2013
12:41 PM EDT
There is another point that y'all are missing. Sexism or racism or xenophobia or other such maladies are more than just being abusive. It is designed to be exclusionary: to drive a group of people out of the community for reasons that have absolutely nothing to do with the ability to contribute to that community. If women are effectively excluded from FOSS then FOSS is poorer for it. When you eliminate half the population you eliminate a great pool of talented people. The same could be said for religious intolerance or the agism commonly seen in the IT workplace in many companies and in the FOSS community as well.

Being an abusive jerk is poor behavior. Being exclusionary and discriminatory, or perhaps, at times, even persecuting people for their race, gender, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, etc... to me, is an entirely different thing.
cr

Jan 21, 2013
10:28 PM EDT
Quoting: If women are effectively excluded from FOSS then FOSS is poorer for it.

Not only for the developer/promoter/user pool loss, but for the loss of their viewpoint, which is oftimes different but no less fundamentally valid. It takes both kinds to make a functional community... I think Nature has proven that.

As for Linus, what does he flame? Perceived incompetence, mostly. Brain wiring and functional hydraulics have nothing to do with that.
dinotrac

Jan 22, 2013
12:31 AM EDT
@caitlyn -

Yes. The last thing we should be doing is chasing talent away.
caitlyn

Jan 22, 2013
2:43 PM EDT
Quoting:As for Linus, what does he flame? Perceived incompetence, mostly. Brain wiring and functional hydraulics have nothing to do with that.
Agreed. I have yet to see anyone accuse Linus of sexism. RMS is another matter. Ted T'so... well... ESR, yep. The list goes on and on, but Linus isn't on it. to his credit.

I think Linus mainly looks at code and function. Write good code that functions well you'll impress him. Write garbage and he'll call you on it. Break something he likes and, well... we've seen how he's reacted to the GNOME developers as an example.
dinotrac

Jan 22, 2013
4:02 PM EDT
@caitlyn -

I have no doubt that Linus would not hesitate to rip new orifi in a female developer who did something silly stupid bad.

Which is how any rational person should want it. Equal props and equal rips.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!