El Reg misses the forest for the trees

Story: Microsoft's ARM blunder: 7 reasons why Windows RT was DOATotal Replies: 6
Author Content
montezuma

Jan 19, 2013
11:43 AM EDT
Windows 8 is also unpopular with punters who are considering getting tablets rather than desktops/laptops. If Windows 8 is a disaster then M$ is in some trouble I would think. THAT IS a really big story Journos can smell blood from a big prey.
r_a_trip

Jan 19, 2013
2:03 PM EDT
It's Balmer that is killing Microsoft. Bill Gates might have been an evil CEO, but he was a CEO with vision and he has taken MS places that Balmer never could and never will.

Good for humanity, but the deathknell for MS.
Fettoosh

Jan 19, 2013
4:08 PM EDT
Quoting:It's Balmer that is killing Microsoft.

@trip,

Don't you think you are giving Balmer too much credit and diminishing FOSS's a bit. :-)

MS is bleeding from thousands of cuts induced by the opportunities FOSS helped create.

caitlyn

Jan 21, 2013
12:43 PM EDT
Microsoft isn't dying. It can live on indefinitely through patent trolling and litigation. Unlike SCO the are big enough and have deep enough pockets to extort their way into profitability. I am also aware of situations where they force partners and vendors to price MS solutions low and FOSS solutions ridiculously high, guaranteeing sales where their solutions should absolutely fail in the free market.
DrGeoffrey

Jan 21, 2013
5:14 PM EDT
Indefinitely is a long time. Or, as someone once said, "In the long run, we are all dead."
Fettoosh

Jan 21, 2013
7:29 PM EDT
Quoting:Microsoft isn't dying.

I said bleeding not dying. Yes, MS will survive as a financial company but not so sure about being a tech company. When FOSS and FOSS based products are dominant, MS won't be as profitable as it would as a monopoly.

MS sued those who really didn't want to bother with its aggravation and we are not sure whether their contracts were profitable to them or not since none of them were ever disclosed. The question is, why haven't they sued Google yet?

gus3

Jan 22, 2013
1:19 PM EDT
@DrGeoffrey, the one I heard was, "On a long enough time scale, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero."

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!