The biggest difference between Android and other Linux OSs

Story: Lenovo, Linux, and the Coming of the ChromebooksTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
tracyanne

Jan 21, 2013
6:32 PM EDT
from the stand point of sales and user uptake, is that Android comes pre installed on devices from most computer hardware manufacturers.
r_a_trip

Jan 22, 2013
4:14 AM EDT
Preloading is key. Canonical should take a leaf from Google's playbook and get OEM's to build Ubuntu All-in-Ones, laptops, tablets and phones and directly sell these from the Ubuntu website. Maybe help the Coreboot guys to get an UEFI Coreboot payload, so that these machines come free from MS secureboot keys.

The design specs don't need to be elaborate. Just the minimum specs these machines need to deliver and no upper limit to these specs. Could make a killing if Ubuntu versions can be guaranteed to run on a "Designed for Ubuntu" machine.
Bob_Robertson

Jan 22, 2013
10:24 AM EDT
"Preinstallation is key".

I've been saying that for years.
caitlyn

Jan 22, 2013
2:38 PM EDT
Quoting:"Preinstallation is key".

I've been saying that for years.
So have I, and I can provide a long list of links to my articles and blog posts that make that point if anyone is terribly bored and has nothing better to do.
tracyanne

Jan 22, 2013
3:29 PM EDT
It's ok caitlyn, I think I've read them already
gary_newell

Jan 22, 2013
5:35 PM EDT
As Microsoft and Apple already have a captive audience on the desktop it will take more than getting OEMs on side.

Google have gone for getting Samsung to produce Chromebooks and they are probably the most innovative PC manufacturer there is. Now Google have had success with the Samsung Chromebooks the other manufacturers are keen to get a slice of the pie (getting in on the pun action from the Raspberry PI thread earlier on)

For Canonical to succeed with Ubuntu on the desktop and in the mobile world they can do one of two things. 1. Make it so cheap that everyone can afford one or 2. Make it so darned good that everyone will want one.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!