Alan Cox resigned on Wednesday

Story: Alan Cox Calls Fedora 18 "The Worst Red Hat Distro"Total Replies: 4
Author Content
henke54

Jan 24, 2013
7:11 AM EDT
Quoting: Alan Cox, effectively number two in the Linux world after Linus Torvalds, resigned on Wednesday. Cox, who’s paid by Intel for his Linux work and officially lists himself as “Works at Etched Pixels Digital Design” on his Google+ profile, announced his resignation in a public statement that is as transparent as it is honest. Here’s his resignation statement:
http://www.livemint.com/Companies/R3ejpyW3GZBmyVWUbg3thO/Ala...
notbob

Jan 24, 2013
9:34 AM EDT
Ya gotta wonder about this plethora of linux distros and the ppl who use 'em. Are all linux users so fickle or is it the distro that generates such disloyalty. When I found Slackware about 12-13 yrs ago, I knew I was home. No roaming, no wondering eye, no linux musical chairs. Sure, I've since flirted with a few distros to see which would work off-the-shelf on my eee netbook, but my desktop is inviolate. Everyone else, or so it seems, can't sit still on a distro for 5 mins before they're off installing the latest uprev or the new kid on the block. Mint, Mageia, etc. Whatever happened to settling on one distro and becoming knowledgeable and proficient in its use? Probably jes me and my geezer ways. ;)
opsoanonymous

Jan 24, 2013
11:01 AM EDT
I agree that there is a lot of distro hoping. When I found Mint, I knew it was going to be my distro of choice.
DrGeoffrey

Jan 24, 2013
10:50 PM EDT
@notbob - Perhaps they are enjoying the freedom of choice?
caitlyn

Jan 25, 2013
12:48 PM EDT
I distro hop when I have a good reason to. I went to openSUSE when it was clear I'd be supporting SUSE heavily for the first time in a number of years. I've stayed with it because 12.2 is a very fine release for them and everything has been working for me with no fuss and no muss. I still have my previous choices (CentOS, SalixOS) installed because I still do a little Red Hat support on the side and because there was no reason to remove SalixOS even though I'm really not using it anymore. If I need the disk space for something it will go.

In the office I use SLED because that's the desktop standard and support SLES because that's the server standard. There is no freedom of choice at work.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!