~Jeff
jacog

Jan 28, 2013
3:45 AM EDT
Shame indeed. It's just so darn zippy.
Fettoosh

Jan 28, 2013
10:16 AM EDT
I am at a point where I see such articles and just roll my eyes skipping to next article.

All such articles are biased and reflect personal preferences nothing more nothing less. Exclude this and that because of so and so. One system does this way and the other does. etc...

The best system is the one a user likes and feels comfortable with to do what s/he needs done with help of a computer.

Some want speed and others want features. Unfortunately, these two are inversely proportional to each other.

Most of the time, what counts most is an optimized system that is a compromise between the two.

In the end, what really counts is to have a well balanced reliable and easy to maintain system that does the job.

caitlyn

Jan 28, 2013
11:16 AM EDT
There are lots of other choices which could have been examined, including some lesser known ones, which would have made this a much more interesting article. Fettoosh is right. Articles like this generally should be titled: "Desktops I Like".
gary_newell

Jan 29, 2013
5:36 AM EDT
In one of my blog posts once I made the mistake of adding a rating to the thing I was reviewing.

Now I try and stick to the features a system has, whether I find them useful and I try and highlight any stand out features and any issues I had.

It is up to each person to decide how good something is.
tracyanne

Jan 29, 2013
6:32 AM EDT
well it did cause me to consider replacing Razor QT on my net book
jacog

Jan 29, 2013
6:38 AM EDT
One thing about this article that stands out is the line "If you're not a fan of Ubuntu's switch to purple, try one of these alternative desktops instead"

If "purple" is one's only problem with a desktop, and the purple in question is almost entirely on the wallpaper, why not just change the desktop wallpaper?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!