Is gnome chasing KDE?

Story: GNOME project picks JavaScript as sole app dev languageTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
dyfet

Feb 05, 2013
8:56 AM EDT
Remember Vala? It was to be "the" language for gnome, finally giving it something comparable to what Qt and C++ were together...the gnome app site was filled with Vala material. Yep, no mention of it at all in this new thing. Interestingly, Qt & KDE have together already adopted a Javascript derivative, QtQuick/QML, while will be used for all future core UI components. Even before KDE 5, they are in an advanced state of bringing this forward within the last few KDE 4.x releases (4.9 and 4.10 in particular). So suddenly GNOME now "discovers" Javascript is the "future"...Hmm...I think they are simply chasing KDE in this one...
gus3

Feb 05, 2013
3:33 PM EDT
If you want a good example of Vala's capability, take a look at SmartSim:

http://smartsim.org.uk/
rahulsundaram

Feb 05, 2013
5:16 PM EDT
@dylet, GNOME has been using Javascript for a long time. Ex: GNOME Shell, GNOME documents and all the extensions. It is not new. It is just that they have chosen to standardize on it as the recommended language for new applications. Nothing to do with KDE.
Fettoosh

Feb 05, 2013
6:28 PM EDT
KDE started supporting JavaScript way back in November 2009 Development/Tutorials/Plasma/JavaScript/API

rahulsundaram

Feb 05, 2013
7:36 PM EDT
@ Fettoosh GNOME has had support for Javascript for even longer

https://mail.gnome.org/archives/ftp-release-list/2008-Octobe...

This announcement is not about new support as I already indicated
tracyanne

Feb 05, 2013
8:31 PM EDT
That puts the mark a little higher up the wall.
Fettoosh

Feb 05, 2013
9:31 PM EDT
@rahulsundaram,

I can't tell what that gis package consists of right away, but I take your word for it.

Notice I didn't say anything about which was announced first and I was just pointing out that KDE had JavaScript support for a while.

But for the record and if you want to be exact, here is a link that shows KDE 4.x support for JavaScript was announced on August 2, 2007

See quoted: under Next up section
Quoting:Javascript support has been added to plasma, and according to its lead developer we might soon support the Mac OS X Dashboard widgets. Superkaramba applets are supported already, Opera widgets might follow soon.
rahulsundaram

Feb 05, 2013
10:17 PM EDT
@fettosh

Since the announcement had nothing to do with support, I don't see why you are still spending wasting time discussing a side point and for the record, gjs is the first release of the javascript binding for GNOME. If you want to look for initial support, you can pick an earlier date. Both of them have added support roughly the same time.
Fettoosh

Feb 05, 2013
10:51 PM EDT
Quoting:Since the announcement had nothing to do with support, ...

Splitting hairs aren't you?

The point by @dyfet seemed important to you and worthwhile your time trying to disprove it.

KDE Javascript was available over a year ahead of GNOME. Irrelevant the difference, if there is any, between support and announcement of support, what matters and counts in this case is the idea.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!