Size of the Steam Runtime reduced by 50%

Story: Steam for Linux Can Now Be Legally Packaged in Other DistrosTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
BernardSwiss

Feb 10, 2013
2:22 PM EDT
This strikes me as possibly the clearest indication yet, that Valve is really serious about Steam for Linux
Steven_Rosenber

Feb 10, 2013
2:46 PM EDT
They want to put out their own console-like boxes. Linux is their ticket to that.
kingttx

Feb 11, 2013
5:25 PM EDT
Oh wow, I must have skimmed right past that tidbit. I like streamlined code. :)
jacog

Feb 12, 2013
4:36 AM EDT
Gabe Newell recently spoke at DICE and said that Linux gives people the freedom to innovate. No kidding.

Bugs me a bit that the open-sourced version of Desura, Desurium is not standard in the repos of more distros.

I see a lot of griping about both these systems about the fact that they install all their software in self-contained areas of the user's home directory, instead of using system libs and the native package manager. I find this griping short sighted. Games are often bloaty messes of proprietary stuff, does one really want that to be deeply integrated with one's system? It's entertainment software. I prefer to have it all in a neat little corner that does not interfere with the rest of the OS.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!