What's the point?

Story: Slackware-current adopts KDE SC 4.10Total Replies: 5
Author Content
notbob

Feb 13, 2013
4:36 PM EDT
Perhaps a big thrill for bleeding edge freaks, but I don't get it. What's the point of upgrading to a newer KDE when the old version is still either incomplete or often useless? Really. I like KDE and use KDE, behind fluxbox, at least the more common apps like ocular and gwenview, etc, but try and fly krita. I'd like to, but the documentation is pretty much non-existent. There's a handbook with a table of contents, but clicking subject links yields way too many "under construction" or "todo". Talk about vaporware. Trying to stumble around a function or screen is jes not productive. So, what's the point of upgrading to an even more useless non-functioning version?
caitlyn

Feb 13, 2013
4:40 PM EDT
Gee, I thought KDE was a desktop environment. I didn't know you had to use a painting application to use a desktop environment. As a desktop environment KDE works very well nowadays. krita? I don't even have it installed.
jdixon

Feb 13, 2013
5:26 PM EDT
> What's the point of upgrading to a newer KDE

It's Slackware-current. Early adopters will test it and find out if it's suitable for inclusion in the next release of Slackware. The people who use Slackware-current pretty much are "bleeding edge freaks". Well, as much as a Slackware user can be.
tracyanne

Feb 13, 2013
5:26 PM EDT
[ quote]krita? I don't even have it installed.[/quote]

me neither. But as you have it install notbob, perhaps you'd like to contribute bug reports to the Krita devs.
notbob

Feb 13, 2013
6:56 PM EDT
I was mistaken in believing krita is a part of kde. It once was, but no longer. Wiki has the gory details.
othersimon

Feb 14, 2013
6:37 AM EDT
notbob, Krita has never been a part of what is now known as the KDE Plasma Workspaces, Applications and Development Platform (previously KDE Software Compilation, before that just KDE). Some apps (like Okular and Gwenview that you mentioned) are part of KDE itself. However there are many other applications that are part of the wider KDE community (using KDE libraries/infrastructure etc) which are released separately. Calligra (and before it KOffice) which Krita is a part of are released separately on their own schedule.

Of course some distributions choose to install Calligra by default, but it is not a part of the KDE Plasma Workspaces, Applications and Development Platform.

By the way, KDE 4.10 has been rock solid for me, even if you're really averse to being bleeding edge 4.10.1 or 4.10.2 should be safe. Not that 4.9 was incomplete or useless...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!