Redmond's Motives are puzzling

Story: Retail copies of Office 2013 are tied to a single computer forever Total Replies: 15
Author Content
Ridcully

Feb 16, 2013
2:47 AM EDT
Personally, I cannot think of a single thing that is so well designed to anger Microsoft users than this very restricted "machine tied licence". I think it is very dangerous indeed to remove a well established freedom to use software as and how the user wishes, provided it is not "pirated". Either Microsoft doesn't care, or it is anxious to force vendor locked customers onto a stream that ultimately must provide a bigger cash flow if people are silly enough to accept it. Another way of looking at the situation is that this is almost making a computer into a Microsoft tied device that is "throw away".....Either way, I wouldn't be surprised to find LO and Apache OO getting more customers.
BernardSwiss

Feb 16, 2013
2:56 AM EDT
This sort of nonsense was one of the major factors in my decision a dozen years ago, that I needed an escape/contingency plan, to wean myself from Windows and MS software.

Of course, if I hadn't already been aware of Linux, it might not have occurred to me that I had an option (besides pay Apple to trade one set of problems for another). Unfortunately, most people still don't know about Linux and aren't aware that they have any realistic, practical alternative.
notbob

Feb 16, 2013
10:56 AM EDT
This is a long established trend and it's been in full swing for many years. Locked cell phones, leased e-book software, proprietary everything! If the software industry gets their way, ALL software will be leased and none will ever be owned by the user. The user will have no rights to what they have paid for.

Throwing out one's vehicle used to be the classic example. What if you could not modify or resell your own pick-up truck!? Outrageous! It'll never happen!! I got news for you. It may one day happen. Copyright, patents, TOCs, etc. They tried to do it with CDs, remember? Heard about the new Xbox requirement? Gotta be on the net so M$ can diddle yer box, whether you like it or not. You can bet they will continue trying. There is no half way. There is no negotiation. One concession is jes one more slice of the sausage, a fact gun owners learned long ago. Look at poor python. The scumbags are relentless.

No surrender! No backing down! Long live RMS!!
rnturn

Feb 17, 2013
1:06 PM EDT
As frequently as home systems -- that do not have an in-house PC support group staffed by A+-certified technicians and a pool of spares sitting on the shelf -- manage to die, I can only assume that this licensing move is an indication that Microsoft wants to kill off the use of standalone Office by home users and to push them to a cloud-based, subscription version. Corporate users will, of course, not have to worry about this move. (Money talks.)

If you think the ``Microsoft tax'' is high enough now, just imagine what that effective tax will be if you need to buy not only the MS operating system but a new copy of Office as well when your laptop croaks.

My wife has the only Windows-based PC in the house (a laptop) and her reaction when I told her of this was one of shock and disgust. Any new Windows-based systems that we buy -- and it would only be to replace her Toshiba should it die -- will be running an OSS office suite.

IMHO, this decision just reeks of monopoly maintenance.
tracyanne

Feb 17, 2013
6:01 PM EDT
Nothing puzzling there at all. Their Market research tells them that they will make more money, even at the expense of a small percentage of users.
dinotrac

Feb 17, 2013
8:10 PM EDT
@ta --

There may be something to that. Apple's done pretty well for itself staking out a minority but high margin position in several markets.

Trouble is, Microsoft ain't Apple.
BernardSwiss

Feb 17, 2013
8:23 PM EDT
"Boiling frog" analogies come to mind.

First we were introduced to paying for the operating system. Then we were trained to accept limitations on transferring software to another user/owner, and even to moving the software along with the computer to another owner. The trend has been a steady, gradual encroachment on user freedom concerning the product the supposedly were sold (even if it was officially claimed there was now sale -- they were merely granting a licence -- the EULA was the cooking pot in which we restless frogs were carefully set in our proper place).

And Microsoft has been the chef in charge of this culinary school.
Ridcully

Feb 17, 2013
10:30 PM EDT
@BernardSwiss.....that's a nice analogy. So the next move could very well be a fully sealed computer with Microsoft on the label and no way of altering the non-data contents other than through Microsoft via the web. And we finally reach the throw-away computer......And frankly, it sounds horrible.

@ta.......Okay, I'll 'fess up: I used the word "puzzling" in the subject line purely because I hoped it would invite lots of comment. I agree with you completely. Anything that Redmond does proceeds from its dual greeds of power and money.......Power over others and their wallets, and greed to get at their wallet contents. In Microsoft's eyes, it would be a perfect world if we only used Microsoft computers, software and cloud. Ain't gonna happen, but all their actions indicate that general idea is framed and hanging on their office walls.
tracyanne

Feb 17, 2013
11:10 PM EDT
Quoting:...but all their actions indicate that general idea is framed and hanging on their office walls.

That was Bill Gates dream, so it would not surprise me, if it was.
tracyanne

Feb 17, 2013
11:39 PM EDT
I don't have a problem with anything Microsoft does. The only real problem is the real alternative to Both Apple and microsoft doesn't have head space among the people who will benefit, and who are actually searching for ways out (they simply don't know where to look).

If there was sufficient time given over to connecting with these people (advertising, mentions of Linux [or even just Ubuntu or even chromebooks, hell I don't care at this point] in TV shows, on movies on the radio etc), the miniscule numbers choosing linux based operating system on full size laptops and deskbound machines would probaly increase by 3 or 400%.

That would probably add up to only an extra 3% or 4% of total computers extra per year to the Linux based operating systems - excluding Servers (that's over and above the current conversion rate) - but that would probably reach a tipping point fairly quickly, in terms of forcing more commercial entities to take note of Linux, and create a huge headache for Microsoft and maybe even Apple.

On the other hand, if the Ubuntu phone concept reaches enough mainstream ears, that will most likely be the tipping point.
Ridcully

Feb 18, 2013
1:24 AM EDT
I think the "Bill Gates Advantage" for Microsoft was that he was, IMHO, a brilliant salesman. It was his fertile mind that spawned the messages that Windows was a "must have" item and his advertising campaigns actually got people to believe it...Remember the queues ?

I think it is happening again, but this time with Android. I think over time, as the younger generation become more used to doing their work on an Android platform, you will eventually see Android labelled computers out in the market place. From snippets in the news, I think it is happening now.....but very, very slowly. It takes a while for OEMs to realise that Microsoft isn't all powerful any more and in many instances, is a bit player. Fascinating to watch too.
tracyanne

Feb 18, 2013
1:32 AM EDT
How's the rain down your way, btw
Ridcully

Feb 18, 2013
3:16 AM EDT
Steady, constant and heavy..........there are about 20mm in the gauge at the moment and I don't think it will ease up till this time tomorrow. Don't expect flooded creeks though. Oh......I'm using openSUSE to deal with this post. That allows me to say this is still a Linux thread....... :-)

Hope you are okay. Friend of mine at Maryborough is in the Coast Guard Service and they are already making plans to have their equipment at the standby for local flooding in that town.....
tracyanne

Feb 18, 2013
4:54 AM EDT
Posting this from Linux Mint... they expect flash flooding in the area, and yes more flooding in Maryborough with the Mary river. Well probably have localised flooding stopping us from getting out to the Bruce hghiway
Ridcully

Feb 18, 2013
7:58 AM EDT
Oh, TA, I just had a look at the latest BOM radar: http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR501.loop.shtml#skip

The huge cluster of rain seems to be moving SE......you may NOT be flooded out this time. Here's hoping. Thankyou everybody looking on.....these floods in SE Queensland have not been fun. Areas south of Brisbane are exepecting falls of over 200mm in the next 24 hours.....There will be flash flooding and a lot of damage done to infrastructure I would think. Oh....yes.....it's still coming to you over openSUSE 11.4.........And if anyone is interested, I managed to clean out an unusual bug in KMix in this version of KDE. So with TA on LinuxMint and me on openSUSE, this is still a LXer page......even if the rules are bending a little......slightly.....sorry Scott. :-)
notbob

Feb 18, 2013
1:02 PM EDT
Ridcully wrote:So the next move could very well be a fully sealed computer with Microsoft on the label and no way of altering the non-data contents other than through Microsoft via the web.

Isn't that the XBox? It was once essentially a PC. You could even hack it to run linux. Not sure about the newer 360s, etc. I know they pretty much sealed 'em up and looks like the new ones are gonna be internet required.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!