Long live LibreOffice

Story: Retail copies of Office 2013 are tied to a single computer forever Total Replies: 5
Author Content
cmost

Feb 16, 2013
6:04 AM EDT
I agree that this latest move by Micro$haft is ridiculous. I made the switch to OpenOffice on all my personal computers (and those members of my family who kept asking for pirated copies of Office) several years ago with the advent of activation and the stupid "ribbon" interface. Later I switched to LibreOffice and have been very pleased with it's interoperability with MS Office, which I'm forced to use at work. Personally, unless one needs the advanced enterprise and collaboration features of the bloated MS Office suite or Outlook, there's really no downside to using LibreOffice at home or for small businesses who need a powerful productivity suite that's compatible with MS Office. Every single person who I've introduced to LibreOffice couldn't believe that they didn't know about it or that it was actually free. LibreOffice works on Windows, Mac and Linux? Try it, you'll like it.
Koriel

Feb 18, 2013
2:28 PM EDT
I introduced my kids pre-school teacher to Libreoffice as she had bought a new laptop that came with the MS Office crapware that flakes out after so many days use. She had thought it had stopped working and asked me to take a look at it.

I then told her it is working fine but unless she gets her cash out it wont do anything more I then asked her what kind of documents she normally used and she said mainly small Excel spreadsheets and few short letters written with Word. So I promptly downloaded and installed Libreoffice and opened her documents up for her then she looked at me and asked, ok how much do I owe you, I said not a single penny thats what the Libre means.

And there she was about to hand out cash to MS which I put a stop to, makes me feel good inside preventing a sale to them.

Here's one big up-yours to MS.
caitlyn

Feb 18, 2013
2:53 PM EDT
At work we're an OpenOffice shop and it does seem to do a somewhat better job than LibreOffice with .docx and .xlsx files right now, so I am thinking of shifting from LibreOffice to Apache OpenOffice is LO 4.0 doesn't do better. We'll see. Either way, there are good free alternatives out there.
Fettoosh

Feb 18, 2013
3:08 PM EDT
Quoting:so I am thinking of shifting from LibreOffice to Apache OpenOffice is LO 4.0 doesn't do better.

I guess the question to be asked is, did OOo handle those specific .docx & .xlsx sheets incidentally better or OOo handles MS files better in general? If better in general, why and which part of the code did LO screwed up?

Those files could be a excellent sample for LO developers to debug and fix.

caitlyn

Feb 18, 2013
3:44 PM EDT
Quoting:Those files could be a excellent sample for LO developers to debug and fix.
Agreed. I actually think it's a good thing we now have two very good, rather similar competing office suites. Hopefully the two teams will push each other to real excellence.
cr

Feb 18, 2013
6:54 PM EDT
One change which should be more prominently noted is: LibreOffice 4.0 doesn't save to Word6 or Word95. Those who might have to deal with ancient resume mills in the contract engineering industry should hold onto their parallel installations of LO3.x just in case.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!