Python Tutorial

Story: Build a media converter with Python, Qt and FFmpeg Total Replies: 7
Author Content
tracyanne

Feb 28, 2013
12:54 AM EDT
For someone who has never program in Python, or even on Linux Systems, this tutorial is meaningless.

It assumes things it aught not assume,

the code mentions a path that simply doesn't exist on my Debian lineaged system

#!/usr/bin/env python3

the code itself throws errors, that clearly are not expected by the writer, at the most basic level for example

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "main.py", line 2, in <module>

from PyQt4 import QtCore, QtGui

ImportError: No module named PyQt4

even though all those libraries are actually installed.

It assumes the student knows where the following code can be found, or needs to be written

QtCore.QObject.connect(self.ui.selectFileButton,QtCore.SIGNAL(“clicked()”),self.selectFile)QtCore.QObject.connect(self.ui.convertButton,QtCore.SIGNAL(“clicked()”),self.convert)@

I didn't get past this point as this was a blocking error.
notbob

Feb 28, 2013
8:29 AM EDT
> It assumes things it aught not assume,

Much like most articles and posts assume readers know what arcane terms are being flung around with reckless abandon. I like to think I know what most linux topics are about, but I'm completely in a fog when I start reading up on this UEFI thing. Terms like "kexec", "PE binaries", "X.509". Geez, I spend more time reading wiki than the original article.

Also, we assumed you knew how to post to this forum. ;)
Jeff91

Feb 28, 2013
10:15 AM EDT
This is why whenever I start a tutorial series I start by clearly defining what I expect my target audience to already understand. That way when someone is confused on a topic they should have learned elsewhere I can just point them to those resources.

~Jeff
caitlyn

Feb 28, 2013
11:07 AM EDT
Jeff, that's always the right approach. I've also learned from experience that writing Linux articles is a no win experience. If you write them at a basic level the advanced users complain you are assuming they are idiots. If you write them at a more advanced level they are incomprehensible. Oh, and don't even get me started on writing reviews...
Jeff91

Feb 28, 2013
11:18 AM EDT
@Caitlyn - this is why I write articles that please myself.

Screw everyone else ;)

~Jeff
tracyanne

Feb 28, 2013
4:54 PM EDT
After spending more time with that tutorial, I discovered it it not only incomplete, but it also contains significant errors. The code, as presented, simple will not and cannot work.

As a tutorial it is useless, as an introduction to Python it is useless. Anyone who has not Programmed in Python will gain no insights into Programming with Python, as the code, as presented will never work. And rather than demonstrating how easy it is to create a small application using Python and Qt Creator, it delivers the exact opposite.

The article should have been titled "How to confuse and turn people away from Python."
caitlyn

Feb 28, 2013
4:58 PM EDT
Quoting:The article should have been titled "How to confuse and turn people away from Python."
I'd bet I could write that article with that title and succeed. My Python coding definitely needs help.
tracyanne

Feb 28, 2013
5:07 PM EDT
So does mine, and what my coding particularly needs is help in understanding event handling models in QT and GTK, the event handling models I'm used to seem quite different from the concept of Slots and Signals.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!