Dell's Good Move

Story: Putting Dell's Ubuntu Ultrabook to the testTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
Fettoosh

Mar 18, 2013
11:54 AM EDT
Quoting:Dell charges around £120 more for an otherwise identical XPS 13 supplied with Windows 8. Both Ultrabooks currently have free delivery.

It is encouraging to see Dell offering either Linux or Windows pre-installed on exactly the same hardware configuration.

The lower cost of Linux showing £120 of saving is openly noticeable, so why doesn't Dell offer the same on all their other configurations? Is it that hard to do? I don't think so.

Developers are more inclined to go with an Apple Mac than a PC with Windows, so Dell got MS blessing because it stands a better chance with Linux and doesn't really harm MS that much.

BernardSwiss

Mar 18, 2013
1:56 PM EDT
Quoting: The lower cost of Linux showing £120 of saving is openly noticeable, so why doesn't Dell offer the same on all their other configurations? Is it that hard to do? I don't think so.

Could this be a matter of Dell having to sacrifice the usual OEM Windows-license discount, because in this case it's offering the exact same hardware configuration both with Linux or with Windows?
Fettoosh

Mar 18, 2013
2:12 PM EDT
Quoting:Could this be a matter of Dell having to sacrifice the usual OEM Windows-license discount,

It could be and only because Dell can sell such high end hardware with a much better profit margin to compensate for the little loss, if there is any.

cr

Mar 18, 2013
4:33 PM EDT
How much do they get paid to shovel cr@pw@r3z onto the Windows disk (aside from Windows, I mean)?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!