More like a cursory glace at Gnome 3.8

Story: Gnome 3.8 Complete Desktop ReviewTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
cmost

Apr 20, 2013
8:45 AM EDT
How can this reviewer call this chintzy excuse for an article, which was a cursory glance at Gnome 3.8 at best, a "complete desktop review?" What a joke. If this is what passes for technical reviews these days, I must be some sort of an expert..
slacker_mike

Apr 20, 2013
10:04 AM EDT
Allan Day wrote a great overview of the changes in GNOME 3.8, which is far more informative than this article. Now obviously Allan Day's article isn't objective, but it still the better overview.

http://afaikblog.wordpress.com/2013/03/06/taking-gnome-3-to-the-next-level-again/
tuxchick

Apr 20, 2013
10:46 AM EDT
GNOME? Does anyone besides GNOME devs use it?
slacker_mike

Apr 20, 2013
1:50 PM EDT
Actually I use it. I wasn't a GNOME 2 user much in the past. The main environments I used were Fluxbox and KDE, however GNOME 3.6 was really nice, and GNOME 3.8 has me hooked. Even though I prefer Slackware I am running Fedora almost exclusively these days because of GNOME. I installed F19 the other night and I am really enjoying it.

I understand why people find it frustrating and annoying, I get it, but now I feel real comfortable with GNOME. This might be because I avoid the mouse and am mainly a keyboard user. In any case I really like it, but it certainly won't fit all people.
rahulsundaram

Apr 20, 2013
2:04 PM EDT
@tuxchick

Don't be deceived by a bubble of critics. There are quite a lot of GNOME 3 users.
caitlyn

Apr 24, 2013
10:20 PM EDT
Linus Torvalds has gone back to GNOME.

GNOME 3.0 sucked rocks. It's gotten much better since then. Yes, it still consumes too many resources for my taste and requires a lot of customization to get it to where I like it, but... there are a lot of users who do like it nowadays. Think KDE 4.x. If you're still judging it by 4.0 you don't know what KDE offers know. Ditto GNOME 3.0.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!