CLI phobia

Story: Is there an easier transition from Windows to Linux than PCLinuxOSTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
Bob_Robertson

Apr 26, 2013
11:12 AM EDT
I work in a call center, where I do mostly behind-the-scene technical support.

The folks who answer the calls are CONSTANTLY telling Windows users to find the Command Prompt and type stuff, in order to get the information needed to troubleshoot.

"Windows doesn't use the CLI any more" is a myth.
Jeff91

Apr 26, 2013
11:37 AM EDT
Right along with:

"The CLI is scary".

~Jeff
Koriel

Apr 26, 2013
12:51 PM EDT
I thought it was a pretty reasonable review and I suspect if I had been a Windows user looking to switch I would of been intrigued by PCLinuxOS.

The CLI is not for everybody, my mother wouldnt know a CLI if it knocked her upside the head and I aim to keep it that way. Some users should just not be allowed to do certain stuff like my old man, as he is constantly getting it in his head that he knows what he is doing. Its the old "just enough knowledge to be dangerous" syndrome.

If it were not for me and Teamviewer being around my poor mother would never have a working PC.

Just keep it simple for new users then if they are the learning type they will eventually reach for the wonders of CLI.
notbob

Apr 26, 2013
3:06 PM EDT
Bob_Robertson wrote:"Windows doesn't use the CLI any more" is a myth.

I can't tell how many times I've hadda go back into Window's allegedly non-existent shell to take care of problems no Windows gui will not do. What really kills me is how today's youth can txt fer hrs with only their thumb, but scurry like cockroaches when exposed to the light of a CLI
Bob_Robertson

Apr 26, 2013
3:45 PM EDT
I am reminded of Neil Stephenson's "In The Beginning Was The Command Line", after installing the Mac Developer's Kit, paraphrased, "But to get anything done, they had recreated the UNIX command shell."

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!