My, my, this crow is oh-so tasty!

Story: Slackware: Is Systemd Inevitable?Total Replies: 1
Author Content
notbob

May 01, 2013
8:23 AM EDT
Looks like I owe the d-man an apology. This piece on Slackware was simple, seemingly factual, and straight to the point. No "blather" involved. I was not aware of the brewing brouhaha over systemd and this has painlessly introduced me to it. For that, thanks LXer and d-man.

I suspect d-man's suspicions are correct, that Pat is not want to change to systemd without thoroughly researching the long term ramifications of doing so. As a longtime Slackware user, I also can see sticking with Slack's long held philosophy, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". OTOH, despite what many might believe, Slackware is NOT stuck in "1995". I once did a comparison between the latest Ubuntu release and the latest Slackware release, which were pretty close together, at that time. Many of the mainstream installed programs and applications in Slack were newer revs than those in Ubuntu. Naturally, due to different release cycles, this changed rapidly, but the fact remains. But, I digress.

D-mans article is a door on more than systemd, it's a door on the future in terms of parallel computing and its basis, declarative language. This may be the future of all computing, whether we users like it or not. As a patently non-programmer, this is all waaay over my head, but I understand how it may effect the direction of computing in the long term.

I see Slack torn between two historical traditions. One, "Slackware is the most Unix-like". Yet, the other is, "....if you learn Slackware, you learn Linux". Well, if Linux is going to turn down the the parallel/declarative road, Slack will surely have to follow. Or not. Yes, Slack is a bash script centric Linux distro. Defiantly so. But, if Linux leads the way in parallel computing, as I suspect it will, Slackware jes might become an OS anachronism. I would not like to see that. Only time will tell.

Hmmm.... SlackBSD actually sounds kinda nice. ;)

gus3

May 01, 2013
1:14 PM EDT
The typical shell script interpreter may be Bash, but many Bash-isms in Slackware's boot scripts are frowned on, in order to be ash-compatible in an init ramdisk boot.

That said, Bash now has had built-in support for rudimentary multi-processing for a few years now, so it isn't totally with systemd's intentions.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!