Dont disable Ad-Blocker

Story: CrunchBang 11 Waldorf ReviewTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
Koriel

May 21, 2013
3:38 PM EDT
Instead get the Element Hiding Helper add-on for AdBlock you can then select and disable the overlay element that prevents this site from displaying correctly.
Steven_Rosenber

May 22, 2013
3:53 PM EDT
I'm not so crazy about Debian's Iceweasel installing and activating AdBlocker by default.

It's not easy to turn off. I think I had to remove a package to disable it.

My problem is that my work involves web advertising, and if I can't see the ads, I can't do my job.
Koriel

May 22, 2013
7:08 PM EDT
Its the first thing i install, although I dont use the one supplied with my distro, not sure why you have trouble disabling its a 2 click operation for me.

Right click on the ABP icon then select whichever disable option you want, their are 3, which includes disable everywhere. A lot of sites that wont let you view their site due to adblocker use an overlay element to hide the sites contents which is where Element Hider comes in.

For me these are essential web browsing tools.
Steven_Rosenber

May 22, 2013
7:21 PM EDT
This is in Debian Wheezy. I had trouble turning it off. I'm sure when you install it as a pure Firefox extension, it behaves better. But as a Debian package, it's not so easy to deal with.
Bob_Robertson

May 23, 2013
8:50 AM EDT
Steven, indeed, Debian packages ABP for Iceweasel, and then that package gets selected and installed with Iceweasel.

It's a 'recommends' rather than a 'depends', and I think its done that way because the Firefox "version" that is Iceweasel is far enough behind the official version that getting ABP for it would be difficult from the official repositories.

I'm surprised that it wasn't easy to disable (if not remove). Oh well, I'm a browser "user", not a programmer. I still use vi to edit what little HTML I have.
Steven_Rosenber

May 23, 2013
11:11 AM EDT
It's an odd choice -- install and ad blocker and have it turned on by default with no notice.

It's another case where an "opt-in" should be used instead of "opt-out."
gus3

May 23, 2013
5:20 PM EDT
Actually, the "opt-in" in this case would be for the ads. It's "opt-out" by default.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!