A co-worker this morning...

Story: Replacing X With Wayland On The Raspberry PiTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
Bob_Robertson

May 28, 2013
9:14 AM EDT
...walked in with a Raspberry Pi in a plastic case he printed at home.

I love it. I do love it so.
gus3

May 28, 2013
9:37 AM EDT
I made the one from card-stock (tab-A into slot-B stuff). I don't use it typically, because it retains the heat. But I also learned how to run card stock through my laser printer. Fun!

I have gotten more than my US$52 worth from it. Not that I'm actively trying to brick the thing, but I'm definitely less afraid to explore the on-board hardware than I would be on my PC-type systems.
BernardSwiss

May 28, 2013
8:24 PM EDT
@gus -- that's a very good point. Much of what little I know about computers (including my first serious foray into Linux) I learned because I had a cheap garage-sale clunker, that I wasn't afraid to break.
gary_newell

May 29, 2013
3:50 AM EDT
I agree.

I remember buying a laptop from a well known computer store in the UK when I was much younger and I was offered a cover plan.

I replied that I was confident that whatever went wrong with the laptop I would probably be able to fix it myself.

The guy answered "What if the screen goes wrong? Do you know how to replace a screen?"

At that point 2 things sprang to mind. Firstly I asked the question "It sounds like you know there is a screen issue with the model of laptop I am buying, is that the case?" and the second thought was "no I don't know how to change the screen".

I therefore bought a couple or three spares or repairs machines off ebay and set about learning how to replace all the component parts of various laptops.

Bob_Robertson

May 29, 2013
9:22 AM EDT
> "no I don't know how to change the screen".

...yet.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!