Missing Link?

Story: Fedora 19 Beta Brings Schrodinger's Cat to Linux Servers Total Replies: 9
Author Content
Bob_Robertson

May 28, 2013
1:36 PM EDT
Or is this Piltdown Man Linux
jdixon

May 28, 2013
2:27 PM EDT
Maybe just as well. The way the day was going this morning, it might well be a link to designer handbags.
bob

May 28, 2013
2:56 PM EDT
fixed
Bob_Robertson

May 28, 2013
2:58 PM EDT
We won't know if it's released or not, until someone opens a window?
Scott_Ruecker

May 28, 2013
3:18 PM EDT
I swear I checked the link, sorry guys. Thank you Bob for fixing it.
kikinovak

May 28, 2013
3:40 PM EDT
Pissing Mink :oD
BernardSwiss

May 28, 2013
8:27 PM EDT
Not your fault, Scott

-- obviously (predictably?), the link was neither good nor bad, untill somebody actually looked.
Bob_Robertson

May 29, 2013
9:20 AM EDT
A co-worker of mine and I get into such wonderful arguments about the Schrodinger hypothesis.

In my opinion, the link is either good or bad, sorry, I mean the cat _is_ either alive or dead, we just don't know which until the box is opened.

He goes along with Schrodinger that the cat is merely a cloud of probabilities until the box is opened, at which time the probabilities collapse into an observable reality.

Which makes me wonder, did Mars have sandstorms before humans observed them?

(hint: I think they did)

The whole "observable" argument reminds me of the basic egotism of humans. As if reality only exists because humans observe it. Humans are not all that important!
CFWhitman

May 29, 2013
10:31 AM EDT
I think that whether the cat is dead or alive might be of significance to the cat, whether any person observes it or not :-)

There is a similar question that really could boil down to a matter of semantics (unlike Schroedinger's Cat, which seems to me to be not solely a matter of observation, but a matter of what actually is the case). That is, of course, the question as popularly stated, 'If a tree falls in the forest, and nobody is there to hear it, does it make a sound?' This could be a question of what 'sound' means. Is 'sound' the vibrations that are made or only the perception of those vibrations. It's really a pretty pointless question.

Of course, with the tree you could be pretty sure that either way sound did occur because there would be plenty of animals there to hear it, but I've always thought that was beside the point. If you subscribe to the idea that Schroedinger's Cat is not dead or alive until a person observes it, though, you may have a different opinion about that.
lietkynes

May 29, 2013
12:18 PM EDT
Being philosophical about Schroedinger's cat is fun, but let's not forget what the analogy refers to. Schroedinger's cat is used to explain a quantum mechanical behaviour borne from the duality of electrons (matter). Just as I _can_ define the exact position and momentum of a ball at any given point in time and space, I _can_ say for sure that Mars had sandstorms before humans observed them. Within the boundaries of science, of course.

Long story short: Take the analogy with a grain of salt. It was a mere Gedanken experiment.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!