No allegiance to Chrome, just wariness

Story: Is it time to betray?Total Replies: 6
Author Content
Steven_Rosenber

Oct 02, 2013
2:18 PM EDT
Not a bad article by Dark Duck on leaving the Google Chrome browser. Except that he moved to Chromium, which is basically the same thing.

What I wanted to know is whether or not he uses the Google Chrome login feature to share bookmarks and password across multiple systems.

If you're logged in, Google gets a whole lot of information from you, from every bookmark (and password) to every cookie and click.

How can that be good? Even in Chromium, the option to log into Google is there.

Firefox also shares bookmarks across multiple systems, but that's Mozilla and not Google.

I haven't dropped Chrome entirely just yet, but I've gotten back into the habit of using Firefox as my main Web browser.
thenixedreport

Oct 02, 2013
9:15 PM EDT
Though proprietary, has he also considered the new Opera since it uses Chromium's rendering engine?
darkduck

Oct 03, 2013
6:03 AM EDT
@Steven. Yes, I do use the synchronization feature on Chrome/Chromium. Currently, I ended up with Chromium on work laptop and some home Linux installations, and Chrome on some other home Linuxes, plus Chrome for mobile. All sync and I enjoy it. This feature, plus quick-search that is mentioned in the article made the choice for Chromium. The main reason for ditching Chrome for Win was the new NTP design. It only affects Win and Mac versions. Otherwise, I am not much fussed with where my data is stored. I don't see much difference btw Mozilla and Google in these terms. Both are global and American companies and can open their data storage to NSA/CIA/whatnot on due request and push.
Steven_Rosenber

Oct 03, 2013
6:40 PM EDT
The NSA and CIA can get it, but Google has it and is using it to sell you to advertisers.
jdixon

Oct 03, 2013
7:03 PM EDT
> ...but Google has it and is using it to sell you to advertisers.

It's not that they sell me to advertisers that bothers me, it's that they don't give me any of the money. :( And no, their services aren't worth that much.
gary_newell

Oct 04, 2013
5:51 AM EDT
If you use Google (or any other free service) then you have to realise that you aren't the customer. You are the commodity.
djohnston

Oct 04, 2013
5:05 PM EDT
+1 to what gary_newell said.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!