As a rider...

Story: Motorcycle helmet sports Android HUD, rear cameraTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
Bob_Robertson

Oct 23, 2013
9:11 AM EDT
This is very cool.

...except the phone part. No thank you, very, very much. Everything else, great.
the_doctor

Oct 23, 2013
10:40 AM EDT
I don't ride, but I have quite a few friends who do. Anything that improves their safety is a huge leap forward.

One of my buddies has made customized stickers for his helmets that read:

In case of emergency, do NOT remove helmet!

Most people don't realize that in an accident the worse thing you can do is to remove a motorcyclist's helmet. You can cause major spinal trauma if the helmet is pulled off. Please, just leave it alone.
mrider

Oct 23, 2013
11:16 AM EDT
As a life-long rider (3 guesses as to what "mrider" means...), this looks pretty cool.

I would be a little concerned about reducing the visual field of the rider though. Everybody always talks about HUD in e.g. combat fighter planes, and how if it works there, it must also be good for motorcycles. The trick is that in the air, stuff tends to be far away, and a lot more of your information comes from instruments. On a motorcycle, stuff can be very close indeed.

My first thought when I saw the images was - what happens if a dog comes charging out of a yard to the right? It will be possible to see the dog through the image, however, one might not notice it because of the visual clutter.

I'm not saying I don't like the HUD - I'm just saying that to be successful it will need to be designed VERY carefully.
notbob

Oct 23, 2013
11:20 AM EDT
I'm more interested in the HUD. And I bet they eventually offer a simple closed circuit camera version. If they don't, someone else will.

Also, that bizarre windswept helmet design may look cool, but it's a potential hazard. You don't want any unnecessary angles or protrusions causing torquing twists and turns while yer head is bouncing down the highway. Hopefully, they'll get rid of all that nonsense on the end product.
mrider

Oct 23, 2013
11:22 AM EDT
Quoting:...except the phone part. No thank you, very, very much. Everything else, great.

A couple of years ago I was commuting home from work in very heavy, but otherwise reasonably fast moving, traffic. Say 80% of the speed limit. Along comes some young squid on a rice-rocket zooming through traffic like he is invincible. Gets about 6 or 8 cars in front of me when he apparently gets a call on his mobile.

The dork reaches into his pocket, pulls out his phone, flips it open (it was a clam-shell design), jams the receiver between his helmet and ear and starts talking, all without slowing down.

That was the day that I knew I had seen everything!
Bob_Robertson

Oct 23, 2013
3:47 PM EDT
One of the reasons I like riding: No phone.

People-not-paying-attention have always been the greatest hazard to bikes.

This has not changed, only the mode. Now, when someone changes lanes into me, tailgates, swerves, slams on their brakes, runs lights and stop signs, etc., they're most always on the phone.
BernardSwiss

Oct 23, 2013
6:19 PM EDT
> People-not-paying-attention have always been the greatest hazard to bikes.

and to automobiles, and to pedestrians, and to ...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!