Multiarch

Story: Linus Acknowledges 32-Bit Linux As Less ImportantTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
Bob_Robertson

Nov 04, 2013
10:03 AM EDT
I'm still running 32bit because of the ease of running Wizard101 under wine, it being a 32bit thingie.

Multiarch allows for the needed functionality, 32bit libraries seamlessly on 64bit systems, and it seems to be working. I'll have to try it and see.

Anyone else running things with multiarch functionality?
notbob

Nov 04, 2013
11:27 AM EDT
Slackware still keeps 2 versions, 32 and 64, current, and will probably thru the next release (14.1), even with the 3.12 kernel. I run 32 cuz I have ancient hardware (i786), but a major Slack developer provides Slack fans with 32 libs for 64 versions. This is good cuz lotta stuff out there is still 32. I jes bought a new Brother laser fax/copier/printer and Brother only provides 32 bit drivers for it.

A new FAX machine, you ask? Yes, it's still heavily used in business and govt. In fact, the CA Franchise Tax Board will accept only FAX documents! It's either have yer own FAX machine or drive to town and pay someone to FAX it for you. Strange, but true.
cgagnon

Nov 04, 2013
12:09 PM EDT
I'm running PCLinuxOS 64 bit which also runs 32 bit only versions of programs that don't have native 64 bit versions.

Runs great for me. No issues since going to 64 bit multiarch about 6 months ago.

That said I don't anything special with my machine, aside from some python tinkering and virtual box instances of windows to test on.

skelband

Nov 04, 2013
2:12 PM EDT
Running wine great for a number of years on a 64-bit platform. 64-bit isn't really an issue for Wine even if it is 32-bit.

I can't remember the last time I ran a 32-bit base system. It was a *long* time ago.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!