Large disk raid

Forum: LXer Meta ForumTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
penguinist

Dec 04, 2013
7:57 PM EDT
When you partition large (>2TB) disks, you can no longer use fdisk but parted becomes the tool of choice. However, parted seems to be rather sparsely documented, so after tracking down the particulars I felt that I needed to drop this info somewhere. Maybe it will help someone, but at least I'll know where to find the info next time I need it.

If you want to set up raid1 on a pair of 4TB hard drives, do something like this:

parted -a optimal /dev/sdx mklabel gpt mkpart primary 0% 100% set 1 raid on
parted -a optimal /dev/sdy mklabel gpt mkpart primary 0% 100% set 1 raid on
mdadm --create /dev/md0 --raid-devices=2  --level=raid1   /dev/sdx1 /dev/sdy1
mkfs.ext4 /dev/md0
mount /dev/md0 /mnt/my_mountpoint

There are many possible variations, but this gives you a starting point as a reference.
jdixon

Dec 04, 2013
9:12 PM EDT
Concerns about this were why I limited my recent drive purchase to a 2 TB drive. However, the command line tool for gpt disks that's equivalent to fdisk is gdisk.
Bob_Robertson

Dec 05, 2013
9:38 AM EDT
That's....a lot of disk.
penguinist

Dec 05, 2013
11:15 AM EDT
This disk was added onto a server that is doing nightly backups for ten other machines. For backup duty, you can use all the raid1 (or raid6) disk you can get.

The amazing part is that you can get 4TB drives now for $150 each.
Bob_Robertson

Dec 05, 2013
11:54 AM EDT
Where firms are allowed to compete, the push is always to profit from better serving the customers than anyone else.

Yeah, drive prices are dropping again.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [Editors, MEMBERS, SITEADMINS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!