AllSeen Alliance, ominous name?

Story: The Launch of AllSeen Alliance (and the Next Generation of Open Collaboration)Total Replies: 4
Author Content
linux4567

Dec 11, 2013
11:00 AM EDT
Why can't I shake off the feeling that this is 'AllSeen Alliance' is not a good development?

True it's being lead by the Linux foundation so it should be a good thing but the name of the alliance just screams of 'all seeing eye' and given we are talking about networking up all devices around us the potential for abuse is massive.

I really do hope that despite the ominous name of this alliance, the Linux Foundation will ensure that any standards that come out of this are fully open source and totally respect the users' privacy (unlike what happened with smartphones which are basically just corporate and NSA tracking and monitoring devices disguised as useful tools).
penguinist

Dec 11, 2013
11:59 AM EDT
linux4567 wrote:smartphones which are basically just corporate and NSA tracking and monitoring devices disguised as useful tools

+1 Well said and quite accurate imho.

I can see the restraint of the NSA et. al. as becoming a major issue in the next election.
jdixon

Dec 11, 2013
12:46 PM EDT
> I can see the restraint of the NSA et. al. as becoming a major issue in the next election.

I wish that would be the case, but I have no real hope that it will be.
alc

Dec 11, 2013
1:17 PM EDT
I can see the restraint of the NSA et. al. as becoming a major issue in the next election.

I wish that would be the case, but I have no real hope that it will be.

It will be an issue during the election. Just not after the election.
BernardSwiss

Dec 11, 2013
8:03 PM EDT
>> I can see the restraint of the NSA et. al. as becoming a major issue in the next election.

> I wish that would be the case, but I have no real hope that it will be.

> It will be an issue during the election. Just not after the election.

Ouch! And that might well be the optimistic perspective!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!