Would this be this a suitable submission for LXer?

Forum: LXer Meta ForumTotal Replies: 9
Author Content
BernardSwiss

Jan 21, 2014
10:26 PM EDT
I'm sure that many readers would be interested, but even though I'd be happy to submit the story, it still seems just a little too much outside the site's actual scope (and it's not like I have trouble pushing the boundaries a bit).

Stealth marketing: Microsoft paying YouTubers for Xbox One mentions http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/01/stealth-marketing-micr...

Too much Microsoft, not enough Linux/FOSS/Open Source community...?

Thoughts?
tuxchick

Jan 22, 2014
12:57 AM EDT
I adore stories of how much Microsoft sucks, but this one doesn't seem like a LXer story.
BernardSwiss

Jan 22, 2014
2:31 AM EDT
That's pretty much what I figured.
TxtEdMacs

Jan 22, 2014
10:02 AM EDT
I beg to differ. However, since I am the individual that suggested this story's inclusion, that it to be expected.

On many of these threads there is rampant speculation on MS nefarious means of winning markets, yet in Wikipedia speak there are no citations (i.e. proof). Here finally we have one, which proves this is a standardized method they employ.

Do you still stand by you assertions this doesn't belong on LXer?

As always,

YBT
lietkynes

Jan 22, 2014
1:37 PM EDT
I know this story is archived, but just to make a point...

Obviously this doesn't really fit the LXer slogan. Regardless of what is discussed in the threads, caring about MS shenanigans is neither here nor there for Linux/Open Source. We use OSS because of its strengths, not because of the shortcomings of other alternatives. I come to LXer because a large part of my life revolves around OSS. I don't own an Xbox and I don't use any MS products.

Furthermore, this article is hardly proof of anything...I think we should all take these kinds of rumor-based articles with a grain of salt and live by the idea of "innocent until proven guilty". If you want to daemonize MS, it is entirely up to you...but I think a news stream should stick to their mission statement, if only for the sake of the general readership.

Honestly, I am just tired of seeing irrelevant articles pertaining to MS, Apple and other non-OSS/linux apps. My favorites are those that are plain Apple articles and somehow make it through to LXer.

I know it's not my personal news feed, but I guess I have a right to voice my opinion to whatever degree I can. At least LXer got past the dribble written by what's-his-name Schmitz.

Thanks for reading.
Bob_Robertson

Jan 22, 2014
1:45 PM EDT
I'd say anywhere that Microsoft impacts F/OSS is fair game, but purely MS absurdities are just not worth the time.
jdixon

Jan 22, 2014
2:49 PM EDT
> I'd say anywhere that Microsoft impacts F/OSS is fair game,

Well then, since this is promoting the Xbox One, which is a competitor to the Steam Box, which is based on Debian, it's fair game.
gus3

Jan 22, 2014
6:44 PM EDT
That seems kind of circuitous, jdixon. It's like saying 2*pi*sqrt(-1)=0. (And yes, it does.)
jdixon

Jan 22, 2014
8:24 PM EDT
> That seems kind of circuitous, jdixon

Well, yes it is. That was the point. :) At this point pretty much anything can relate back to FOSS if you try hard enough.
tuxchick

Jan 22, 2014
9:30 PM EDT
I guess we all read it anyway :)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [Editors, MEMBERS, SITEADMINS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!