Evergreen

Story: openSUSE 12.2 Is Officially DeadTotal Replies: 0
Author Content
Ridcully

Jan 28, 2014
5:11 PM EDT
I "tinkered" with openSUSE 12.2, but never really took it up as a useful version. Part of that situation is the Evergreen project:

http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Evergreen

This provides support for selected versions of openSUSE after official support has expired. Supposedly the version I am using, which is openSUSE 11.4, will cease to be supported by Evergreen this coming July, however if you read their own text just below the listings for the various versions, support should not expire until November 2015.

That's my hope as well, because openSUSE 11.4 has proven to be superb as a version of the OS. Even more importantly, it contains a version of KDE4 which has not been damaged by the Akonadi, Nepomuk, KWallet trio's mandated control over KMail. As a consequence, I never really bothered much with any later versions of openSUSE. If Evergreen does continue to support version 11.4 until next year, I'll explore version 13.1, but may not transfer unless there are really compelling reasons to do so.

What is important however, is that the publicity for version 13.1 indicated that it had concentrated on reliability and stability and that openSUSE 13.1 was an extremely good version. The fact that Evergreen has selected this version to support after its official support ends tends to confirm that concept as well.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!