Oh, the pain!

Story: Should Linux look like Windows?Total Replies: 13
Author Content
notbob

Feb 05, 2014
10:15 PM EDT
Are bloggers really this stupid!? No, I really want to know. 8|

If so, I rightfully cringe at the prospect of creating my own blog and being painted with the same brush as this clueless lump of lusers. This J Lynch guy is becoming a painful regular in LXer. Everytime I see a JL article, I quail at what may be around the corner. And every time, I'm not disappointed. If he's not clueless enough, he links to another braindead blogger asking the same question. Are Linux users copying Windows? Well, duh!

Can anyone be this stupid!? Heck yes, they're copying Windows, you twit. What else was there for 10 yrs? Apple? Yeah, like anyone could afford an Apple in the 80s. And what did Apple have to offer? Zip! No office suite. Jes graphics tricks. Big Biz didn't give a rat's patoot about graphics. They wanted a word processor and a spread sheet. End of story. And Windows flew in on an IBM PC!!!!

Managers didn't care if some long-haired whiz made a Mac sing. Mgrs worried about their jobs. What was the mantra?: No one ever got fired buying IBM! Plus, the PCs open architecture let the Chinese in. Mac = $1800. PC_clone = $400. Duh. Plus, PCs had interface cards for everything, including Unix mainframes. Did Macs? Heck no!! "We're Apple!". Short sighted morons is what they were.

Heck yes, I like the Windows desktop!! It's actually practical. Major space allotment with an minimal "programs accessed/running" bar at bottom. Simple, effective, logical. Microsoft actually influenced, for the better I believe, some de facto standards on the desktop computer world. Hear the Windows desktop aficionados howl at W8 blasphemy? As well they should. A desktop is not a cellphone and M$s desktop was excellent. Microsoft didn't do EVERYTHING wrong. ;)
Ridcully

Feb 06, 2014
12:51 AM EDT
Convergent evolution ?
gary_newell

Feb 06, 2014
4:53 AM EDT
Just because you have made the decision to not use Windows anymore doesn't mean that everything about Windows was wrong.

Later on in the article, Jim recommends Linux Mint and tells users to give it a try. The Linux Mint desktop (and it doesn't matter which desktop you choose) looks a lot like Windows.

I liked the third story that was linked about North Korea copying Apple's desktop. Maybe they were the secret organisation that bought Pear.

I actually quite like the IT World articles that Jim posts.
tbuitenh

Feb 06, 2014
6:30 AM EDT
There’s a difference between having a Windows-like layout and using the same icons, widget appearance, and window decorations as Windows. Why anyone would want the latter is a good question, because Windows is not all that pretty and looks different in every version (so getting used to the looks of for instance Linux Mint shouldn’t be a problem).

My best guess is that people want this for their relatives who keep turning their computers into steaming piles of carp, who refuse to try Linux because it’s “different” yet insist that their captive geeks keep fixing their computers. So what does a geek do? Make Linux look like Windows, these relatives won’t notice the difference anyway except when they can’t install that free prawn/gambling thing, which they’ll never admit anyway so the geeks won’t hear about it. Problem solved!
jimlynch

Feb 06, 2014
7:16 AM EDT
Thanks, Gary! I appreciate the support. :)

notbob, the point of the main story in the open source news roundup was to encourage users to stick with Linux without trying to make it look like Windows. I also included links to some different Ubuntu and Linux Mint desktops so potential Linux users could get their feet wet while still using Windows.

As you point out, not everything is wrong with Windows. But it's a shame if somebody tries Linux and doesn't take the time to learn how to use a new desktop environment. Linux has so much to offer in terms of desktops, hopefully new users will stick with it and let Windows go.
Bob_Robertson

Feb 06, 2014
10:05 AM EDT
I don't mind the copying of UI look/feel. This is why:

"Law of Least Astonishment: The program should act in a way that least astonishes the user."

In fact, the entire page is excellent reading: User Friendly Programming http://www.oualline.com/style/c08.html

I think it's wonderful to have people taking what they think is the best of Windows, Mac, and other UI styles to build what works for them.

And rather than being slapped across the face by Unity, or by the COMPLETELY different style of, say, OpenLook, the new Linux user gets to start at the shallow end of the pool, and experiment once they become accustomed to the fact that they now have a choice.

Why did people respond with such disgust to the Win8 "new" interface? It's still Windows....

Because it's not the underlying Operating System that matters, it's the user's experience. Win8 was astonishing.
notbob

Feb 06, 2014
1:10 PM EDT
> it's a shame if somebody tries Linux and doesn't take the time to learn how to use a new desktop environment.

Why is it a shame? Why are you making this an emotional issue?

Why am I even engaging this cretin? Shame on me! ;)
skelband

Feb 06, 2014
2:27 PM EDT
The interface of Windows is not necessary the best reason to move to a Linux desktop.

We keep telling people to move to Linux for reliability, lack of viruses and freedom from both the slavery of proprietary software and an enforced upgrade cycle.

There are as many opinions on interface design as there are users. Making the desktop interface feel like Windows is a good thing for those that prefer that interface style if only for them to get the other obvious benefits and it would certainly make the transition easier.

I know people that really love the Windows 7 interface. It's not for me, but then I like MATE in the Mint style.
the_doctor

Feb 06, 2014
3:30 PM EDT
Mr. Lynch writes:
Quoting:notbob, the point of the main story in the open source news roundup was to encourage users to stick with Linux without trying to make it look like Windows.

This statement stands in direct opposition to what Linux represents: Freedom.

If an individual wants their Linux desktop to look like the Microsoft Windows environment, they absolutely have the right to make that choice. Who is this Jim Lynch to tell them that they ought not?

Such a snobby Linux elitist attitude gives the Linux community a disgraceful reputation.

Quoting:Linux has so much to offer in terms of desktops, hopefully new users will stick with it and let Windows go.

Let Windows go? How very restricting of you, Mr. Lynch.

Many Linux users have found that MS Windows serves best when it is run either as a dual-boot system or in a virtual environment, such as VirtualBox. The best of both worlds, so to speak.

We should never "encourage" new users to relinquish their right to freedom by limiting their options. This, above all else, is what makes Linux great.
notbob

Feb 06, 2014
5:33 PM EDT
My last post to Jim Lynch was uncalled for. I sincerely apologize to Jim Lynch for my rude behavior and boorish manners.
jimlynch

Feb 06, 2014
6:55 PM EDT
No worries, notbob. The gods know we've all gone down that road at one time or another. Heh, heh. ;)

The_doctor: Good point about the freedom of Linux. I ought to have noted in the article that making it look like Windows is fine if somebody really wants to do it, but I focused more on encouraging people to give new desktop environments some time to get beyond the way things are done in Windows.
DrGeoffrey

Feb 06, 2014
7:58 PM EDT
Quoting:My last post to Jim Lynch was

The mark of a true class act. I may not always agree with you notbob, but I do respect you. Nicely done, Sir.
jdixon

Feb 06, 2014
8:19 PM EDT
> The mark of a true class act.

Agreed.
Steven_Rosenber

Feb 07, 2014
12:18 PM EDT
I enjoy Jim Lynch's posts. He is doing roundups, and I often see things that I otherwise missed.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!