A few points

Story: Installing the Trinity Desktop Environment on DebianTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
cr

Feb 11, 2014
4:03 PM EDT
Your blog didn't like my attempt to sign in using ""name/url"... so I'm posting my comment here instead.

Good article. A few points:

- You can bulk-install just about everything that's on offer for TDE in Synaptic once you're in TDE. Apt-get install that if needed, then search on 'trinity' and tag it all for installation to pull in things like the Trinity maintained fork of KOffice. Then search on 'kde' and pick up anything else with trinity in the package-name or description. If you install a KDE4 app by mistake, it should be benign other than dragging in a lot of KDE4 libraries with it as support; Trinity is designed to coexist with KDE4 and, in many cases, run its apps within the Trinity desktop environment. If that's too much KDE4 for you, just cancel the select-for-install when you see a lot of Qt4/KDE4 baggage show up in the "also install" window.

There's one big exception to that blanket pull-in, though. Leave this file alone if you want Gtk2-using apps like Firefox / Iceweasel or etherape to run when you're done:

kgtk-qt3-trinity

It messes up Gtk symbols such that you get the dreaded "trace/breakpoint trap", and you won't even see that unless you try to launch your program from a terminal window (chasing this down cost me a few days). I hear it's supposed to be removed from the repos, but it's still in there as of TDE 3.5.13.2, and for all I know might still be in the upcoming 3.5.14. Blacklist it if you know how, otherwise just leave it alone.

- Not everybody is conversant or comfortable with vi. Nano was the default editor in a couple of TDE live-CD installs I did; it's a better choice for people who are new to Linux-land. (And then there's people like me who prefer jstar because it behaves like WordStar. Fortunately Linux-land is big on choice.)

- For those who want to try-before-you-fly with TDE, there are a couple of live-CDs that I can recommend: at http://exegnulinux.net/ there's a live-CD of Debian Wheezy (stable) with a Trinity 3.5.13.2 desktop. It has its quirks but I was quite pleased with it, and the devs there are responsive.

For some reason that distro wouldn't give me sound on my AMD E350D-based system unless I installed the proprietary (and, in my case, troublesome) Catalyst video drivers for its APU, so I went looking. Sparky Linux has a live-DVD/USB TDE test release (again, Wheezy / TDE 3.5.13.2) at http://sparkylinux.org/download/ and it came up with sound on my machine while driving the APU with Gallium, which is why I'm running it now.

--crb3
Bob_Robertson

Feb 12, 2014
10:00 AM EDT
Wonderful! Sorry about the problems posting, I deliberately left comments "open" at first, and haven't found spam to be a problem. I'll see about posting this for you.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!