Take note that these are the OpenSUSE defaults

Story: Replacing KDE4 with XfceTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
CFWhitman

Mar 07, 2014
3:15 PM EDT
This is not a criticism of the article in any way. I just wanted to note that some of the defaults here are OpenSUSE specific:

-The article noted that in Xubuntu the main menu defaults to the top which happens to be the Xfce default rather than the bottom as in OpenSUSE. On the bottom the default is an icon panel for your most used applications.

-There isn't really a default email client for Xfce (though they sometimes suggest Claws, Sylpheed, or Geary), but Thunderbird fits in well.

-The default optical disc authoring software for Xfce is Xfburn rather than Brasero. I tend to use K3b most of the time anyway, but Xfburn works.

There are a number of applications which are actually associated with Xfce, but they do always mention others as well when recommending applications, so they're not very dogmatic about anything like that. Here are the technically official applications where one exists:

Terminal: Terminal (xfce-terminal)

Dictionary: Xfce4 Dictionary (xfce4-dict)

Calendar: Orage

Browser: Midori

Media Player: Parole (replaces the now defunct Xfmedia)

MPD Client: Xfmpc

Optical Disc Burning: Xfburn

Image Viewer: Ristretto

Text Editor: Mousepad

Archive Manager: Squeeze

File Manager: Thunar

As I mentioned their recommended applications list includes many other programs in these and other categories.

Edit: There is no longer an official text editor.
jdixon

Mar 07, 2014
3:43 PM EDT
> Text Editor: Mousepad

Mousepad wasn't included in Slackware 14.1, and a conversation on the matter indicated that it was no longer supported. They recommended Leafpad instead.
CFWhitman

Mar 07, 2014
4:11 PM EDT
I see that you are correct. I hadn't realized because it's still included in a lot of distributions. I think that means there is no official text editor anymore, just a recommended one. Thanks for the catch.

Edit: It appears that the reason for this is that Mousepad was only forked from Leafpad because Leafpad had no printing support. Leafpad has since added printing support, so Mousepad is no longer considered necessary.
jdixon

Mar 07, 2014
4:37 PM EDT
> Thanks for the catch.

I just installed Slackware 14.1 last weekend, so the matter was still fresh in my mind. :)
Ridcully

Mar 07, 2014
5:22 PM EDT
Thankyou CFWhitman....with respect to Xfce, I am a complete novice as well, so what you got in the article was what a real newcomer would see. My only real aim was to show that for a disguntled KDE4 user, there are some really good alternatives out there, and it is possible to get them really humming along. I'll put this note on all three threads if it's applicable.
patrokov

Apr 07, 2014
7:15 PM EDT
I recently tested Mint XFCE and was very impressed with Thunar. SSH and SMB integration was seemless as well as MTP. Of course I hate that it can't do dual pane.
Steven_Rosenber

Apr 07, 2014
7:56 PM EDT
Quoting:I recently tested Mint XFCE and was very impressed with Thunar. SSH and SMB integration was seemless as well as MTP. Of course I hate that it can't do dual pane.

Thunar has made a lot of progress over the past few releases. I use the SFTP feature a lot, and I have a lot of bookmarks, too.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!