looks good but

Story: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 Screenshot TourTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
jsusanka

Jun 11, 2014
11:33 AM EDT
I have to say the behind scenes technology looks awesome but I just don't get their gnome interface. I haven't played with that much yet but so far I would have to recommend to install the kde version. But I am sure the kde people will screw up their interface in the version.

I do applaud the effort redhat put behind the gnome desktop version they shipped they at least made it usable and seemed to installed a nice default set of tools for the desktop that for some reason the gnome people didn't include. For all those that chose to program desktop environments there are people who like to customize the way things look and even on their phone. so this non-customization default that you continue push out is not impressing anybody especially the people who are suppose to be your fan base.

linux4567

Jun 11, 2014
7:45 PM EDT
There are two serious issues with RHEL7: the adoption of systemd and Gnome 3

Gnome 3 is actually the lesser problem as it's easy to install an alternative desktop, but the adoption of systemd is a very serious issue as it's way too ingrained into the system to be replaced, so for now I will stick with EL6 (which is still supported until 2020).

Redhat will have some serious work ahead of them to convince sysadmins at enterprises running RHEL that EL7 is a worthwhile upgrade given the hassle of systemd.

caitlyn

Jun 13, 2014
6:08 PM EDT
systemd, from my perspective, is a major improvement. Centralized management of the boot process makes perfect sense and it works well. GNOME 3... I hated it at first, but it has improved to the point where I don't mind it at all. Also, I mainly support RHEL on servers and work at the command line 95-99% at the time, which makes the desktop fairly unimportant.
gus3

Jun 13, 2014
7:56 PM EDT
caitlyn, I think I'm missing something here. "Centralized management," as opposed to... some other system of centralized management?
caitlyn

Jun 13, 2014
9:40 PM EDT
...as opposed to lots of individual scripts for different services.
gus3

Jun 14, 2014
12:46 PM EDT
Ah, centralizing the confusion.

Sorry, I guess I'm just jaded on the matter.
telanoc

Jun 14, 2014
8:48 PM EDT
I tend to like individual scripts for different services. Want to know what's going on when something starts? It's right there in the script. Need to see exactly what's happening? 'sh -x ${service_script} start'. Also, give me plain text logging that I can grep. But then, even in a GUI, I keep terminal windows open to do my actual computering.

Jun 20, 2014
6:01 PM EDT
Sysemd was "ok" until it started going all cleptomanic squid.

its own logging, its own network manager, udev, all being rolled up into systemd like some game of Katamari Damacy.

I think someone over at Google+ quipped that maybe we should start calling it Systemd/Linux.

I wonder how long before i wake up and read that Wayland is part of Systemd.

Given that Gnome is getting a ever tighter connection to Systemd, and everything is happening on RH's payroll, i start to wonder if this is a RH hijacking of freedesktop...
BernardSwiss

Jun 20, 2014
6:06 PM EDT
"Systemd/Linux"

I'd be laughing... except that I'm not laughing.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!